Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caffeeneaddict

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2007
I just bought a mac mini! and after using it for a few hours I have this to say:
-Amazing in every way except airport
-Airport is acting strange (by strange I mean it goes from full bars to one about 50 times a min)
-Currently downloading 10.5.2 so I am hoping this will fix the airport problem
-And leopard is very nice =]

gwerhart0800

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
Loveland, CO
Mini Mania

I got mine on Tuesday of last week. I have not had a Mac since owning a 1st gen in 1984 ... 128k, dual floppies and an imagewriter printer for a cool $2K at the university store. I have been a Unix person since 1982 and I am very pleased with the blend of graphical UI and command line power. Beats the snot out of the Win XP Pro I use on my other home systems.

I purchased mine to get the iPhone SDK up and running ... which it is. I am wondering how many others purchased Mac Minis as the cheapest entry point for iPhone development. Will Apple see a spike in sales because of the SDK?

Personal opinion ... Apple leaves a huge gap in their product line between the Mac and the Mac Pro line. I don't want an all-in-one iMac. The Mini does have some room for CPU/Memory/Disk upgrades that keep it from getting too stale, but the build-in chip set graphics controller is lame.

My memory upgrade arrives on Tuesday ...

Cheers ...

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
Congrats. Though I would have waited (especially on a mini), but who cares!! Have fun, im having fun with my mac! (not a mini though).

Jelite

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
UK
i bought a 2ghz mini last week, i installed some more ram, TWICE. I put one of the original sticks back in:rolleyes::D but its now smooth with 2gb although things keep crashing while im encoding films/messing around with stuff:(

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
i bought a 2ghz mini last week, i installed some more ram, TWICE. I put one of the original sticks back in:rolleyes::D but its now smooth with 2gb although things keep crashing while im encoding films/messing around with stuff:(

The mini wasn't meant for video encoding, slow processor, terrible GPU.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada

Depending on what your doing it's probably the GPU

The Processor isn't slow, yours isn't much faster.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA

Well, yes, if you want to encode fast, 4 core is great (8 core is overkill), but my imac is well, .8ghz faster than the mac mini, and has a 7200RPM 3.0Gb/s drive. the mac mini is 5400 RPM 1.5Gb/s. there is a reason some one will spend $1500 more for a computer, i did that over a low end mini, and i did it for a reason. So the 2.8 isnt great at it, but its much better than a 1.83 or 2ghz mini, feel free to argue on it via PM.

Flowero4ka

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2008
Great! My congrats! :) I love everything MINI, so pleasantly to use it. I'm glad that we have a chance to live in 21st century! :)

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007

Shhh. Don't let mine hear that, it's encoded 12 movies since Sunday and I don't want it to realize it can't do it.

PS> It magically isn't using the GPU at all to encode. Don't tell it that's impossible either please.

clyde2801

macrumors 601

Let him have his fun. After all, he paid three time more for his than you did for yours. :D

To be honest, I sold my coreduo mini and bought a c2d white imac because I wanted a second display and more speed. Parallels also sucked down every last bit of my 2gigs of ram on it. It may be my perception, but it does seem to be faster and more capable.

When you think about it, it DOES make sense. 20 to 24 inch non apple displays are relatively cheap. If the mini was as fast as the imac except for video card intensive tasks, it really would cut into imac sales. I pondered having a 7200 rpm drive installed to give me more speed and storage, but I was informed that it would void my applecare.

Unless you're doing something intensive with it, and plan on squeezing every processor cycle, the mini should be fine. Enjoy your new mac!

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
Congrats. Though I would have waited (especially on a mini), but who cares!! Have fun, im having fun with my mac! (not a mini though).

Here we go again :rolleyes:

Why you have to dump on someones parade when they get a new mini? "Well my iMac is MUCH faster, blah blah." Just say "cool, good for you" and move on.

And as someone else pointed out, the GPU has NOTHING to do with video encoding.

OP, mini is a great machine. My first Mac was a mini. I bought a 1.66 CD almost 2yr ago, upgraded it to 2gb ram, and it was pretty snappy. It easily could have lasted me another 3-4yr before I entertained any ideas of getting something new. However, I did buy an iMac recently and sold that mini to my neighbor. But its a great machine nonetheless. Amazing that everything you need fits inside that tiny box.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
Shhh. Don't let mine hear that, it's encoded 12 movies since Sunday and I don't want it to realize it can't do it.

PS> It magically isn't using the GPU at all to encode. Don't tell it that's impossible either please.

I'm not saying it can't be done, its just the mini isn't great at it. but well over-doable.

Here we go again :rolleyes:

Why you have to dump on someones parade when they get a new mini? "Well my iMac is MUCH faster, blah blah." Just say "cool, good for you" and move on.

And as someone else pointed out, the GPU has NOTHING to do with video encoding.

OP, mini is a great machine. My first Mac was a mini. I bought a 1.66 CD almost 2yr ago, upgraded it to 2gb ram, and it was pretty snappy. It easily could have lasted me another 3-4yr before I entertained any ideas of getting something new. However, I did buy an iMac recently and sold that mini to my neighbor. But its a great machine nonetheless. Amazing that everything you need fits inside that tiny box.

wtf. period. wtf. I mean where in the bloody hell did i say that s**t?:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.