Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wintertime

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
Hey all,

It's a small problem, but since I use the Macbook for music stuff, it is quite a big problem to me. Basically every so often after clicking something, the mouse pointer gets "stuck" for about a second or two, and then is able to be moved again. ie I click a link or something like that, and then for a second or two, the mouse pointer is unresponsive until it then kind of just comes back to life.

It is really annoying because I want to be able to use this Macbook live, and that slight pause can mean I miss a cue or a loop or something which would be a pain.

If you have any suggestions as to what could be causing it I would be most appreciative if you could share.

Thanks!!

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
Mine has the same problem, since day one when I got it. I've tried every fix imaginable - PRAM, OS reinstall, firmware update, 2 OS versions... nothing has changed. I think it's a defect in some of the Macbooks because we're not the only ones who have it.

Apple has my Macbook right now (for an optical drive replacement) and I mentioned the trackpad issue, so I'll report back about whether or not they fix it.

BTW - Apple's had my Macbook for almost 2 weeks... I'm having withdrawal pangs.

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
BTW, I haven't noticed it happening when I use a mouse - just the trackpad. Does that jibe with your experiences?

It can get pretty annoying when dealing with time-sensitive programs, like Logic.

macrack

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2008
I just read this and thought it was my bluetooth mouse. I also am running the latest os. I just downloaded and installed the latest control software for my logitech mouse and poof the sticking is gone! I had this problem from day one of my macbook ownership. Don't know if reinstalling the mouse software is the solution, for everyone but it worked for me. Man that WAS irritating!

wintertime

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
Hey all

I tried resetting the PRAM but it still seems to do it, thankfully it's not that frequent but it does kind of worry me about using it for live music, which is a big reason I bought it.

I just use the trackpad so it's not an external mouse.. Hmm.. it would be good if you could let me know when what Apple say about it when you ask them yadmonkey, cheers

khunsanook

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2006
East Asia
This used to happen a lot to me in Tiger and still does a bit in Leopard. I generally live with it, but to stop it I go to System Prefs and under keyboard and mouse, de-select ignore accidental trackpad input. For me, this cures the problem, although then I start to realize just how much I "accidentally" hit the trackpad :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.