Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Mar 16, 2008, 07:18 AM   #1
juiceman
macrumors newbie

Is your iPhone volume very quiet?

When I talk on my iPhone, the person on the other end is so quiet, even when they're turned up to full volume.
If I'm out and about with background noise, I can hardly hear them at all.
Anyone else found this?
Could it be because it's an unlocked iPhone?
juiceman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 08:24 AM   #2
poorbusker
macrumors member

no, the iphone is just quiet. Everyone has this problem, and it probably won't be fixed until a new version of the iPhone comes out.
poorbusker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 08:25 AM   #3
gardnerv
macrumors member

My iphones volume from the speakers is like turning the headphones up full blast at maybe 75% volume even with the volume uncapper thing.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 08:27 AM   #4
marykay9507
macrumors 6502a

Mine is not bad, but when I put it on speakerphone, it is VERY quiet-- so, I just don't use speakerphone!
Old Mar 16, 2008, 10:35 AM   #5
Draddy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardnerv View Post
My iphones volume from the speakers is like turning the headphones up full blast at maybe 75% volume even with the volume uncapper thing.
Same here, my iPhone stays at like 70% ringer and talking. I also live in the cities were I talk while passing bus's and other people and it is never a problem.
Draddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 12:36 PM   #6
EvryDayImShufln
macrumors 65816

Have you taken the plastic off the screen yet? If not, it blocks the speaker port and makes the speaker extremely quiet.

If you do have it off, I dunno, I always find my iPhone loud enough even in public areas or clubs.
EvryDayImShufln is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 01:29 PM   #7
hexonxonx
Banned

The first iPhone I bought in July had horrible speaker volume. I Finally got tired of it in January and took it to Apple and they replaced it. That iPhone speaker volume is perfect. I can hear through the speaker and earpiece perfectly. Sometimes it is just too loud!

Since then, I have purchased two others, an 8GB and a 16GB and the speaker volumes and earpiece volumes are loud too. Week numbers on all three are 51, 1 and week 4 for the 16GB.
hexonxonx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 01:49 PM   #8
surfer99
macrumors 6502

I have heard this a couple times from people who just recently bought an iPhone and every time the person has yet to take the plastic off the face. Like someone else mentioned, make sure you have taken that off.
surfer99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 02:30 PM   #9
EvryDayImShufln
macrumors 65816

Honestly apple should print something on the plastic, like a warning like they used to do on the ipods. That way people would remove it just on the basis that it blocks the screen with its warning.
EvryDayImShufln is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 02:33 PM   #10
bbplayer5
macrumors 68020

Hacked phones have a volume increasing patch. Seems to work well.. Now mine is really really loud.
bbplayer5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 01:25 AM   #11
saving107
macrumors 603

I'm sure no one is going to believe me but four days ago I went to the apple store to exchange my 8gb model (bought on june 29th) because I was starting to get air bubbles on my screen, anyways, not too long after I walked out of Apple I got a call from a friend and the first thing I noticed (and my cousin) was the volume of the ringtone, I was still inside of the mall and I had the phone in my pocket and I was able to hear the phone ringing.

compared to the first model I had this phone sounds much louder and better, so much that my co-workers and family were able to tell a difference when they borrowed my phone to watch you tube videos. it's not extremely loud, but enough that for the first time I had to lower the volume of the alarm on my phone, I keep the phone next to my bed every night.

one of my friends just bought an iPhone last weekend, and I got mine exchanged 4 days ago and we both compared our new phones to out other friend who still has his phone from june 29th, ours were definitely much louder,

so I don't know if Apple did a silent upgrade to the speaker, or maybe we're just crazy????

Last edited by saving107; Mar 17, 2008 at 01:31 AM.
saving107 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 03:54 AM   #12
hexonxonx
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by saving107 View Post
I'm sure no one is going to believe me but four days ago I went to the apple store to exchange my 8gb model (bought on june 29th) because I was starting to get air bubbles on my screen, anyways, not too long after I walked out of Apple I got a call from a friend and the first thing I noticed (and my cousin) was the volume of the ringtone, I was still inside of the mall and I had the phone in my pocket and I was able to hear the phone ringing.

compared to the first model I had this phone sounds much louder and better, so much that my co-workers and family were able to tell a difference when they borrowed my phone to watch you tube videos. it's not extremely loud, but enough that for the first time I had to lower the volume of the alarm on my phone, I keep the phone next to my bed every night.

one of my friends just bought an iPhone last weekend, and I got mine exchanged 4 days ago and we both compared our new phones to out other friend who still has his phone from june 29th, ours were definitely much louder,

so I don't know if Apple did a silent upgrade to the speaker, or maybe we're just crazy????
I already replied in this thread about the very same thing happening with me. My original iPhone purchased on July 6 had low volume through the speaker. I couldn't hear it ring or any other sounds half the time. I returned it for this problem back in January and the new phone they gave me was perfect. The sound is nice and loud, I can hear it ring as well as when SMS arrive and when emails arrive, all while in my pocket.

Since then, I have bought two more phones and they all have loud volume as well.
hexonxonx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 07:28 AM   #13
rablat
Banned

I agreee with those who have had theirs replaced.
I got the new 16GB after selling one of my 4GB's. And the volume idfference is like night and day. So i have to agree that apple did an upgrade on the speakers both earpiece and loudspeaker. I also think the mic is better.
I have one paticular friend whom i test cellphones with. I called him on the new 16GB he said he thought I was on a landline.
rablat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 12:32 PM   #14
saving107
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexonxonx View Post
I already replied in this thread about the very same thing happening with me. My original iPhone purchased on July 6 had low volume through the speaker. I couldn't hear it ring or any other sounds half the time. I returned it for this problem back in January and the new phone they gave me was perfect. The sound is nice and loud, I can hear it ring as well as when SMS arrive and when emails arrive, all while in my pocket.

Since then, I have bought two more phones and they all have loud volume as well.
sorry, i read the main subject and skimmed the rest.

so I'm not just hearing what I want to hear, the volume is louder, and I finally got a 5 series screen and I would say that the color displace is better as to my previous 7 series screen.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 12:58 PM   #15
yojimbo1
macrumors member

I've had my iphone for a week....still getting used to the low volume.

I' think it will be Ok for me
yojimbo1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone