Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wattso

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
Chester UK
Hi all.

Just got an unlocked 1.1.3 iphone today. Very pleased. However, I cannot get on safari with it. I have been researching this for hours and am no closer to the answer. Please help.

Here's the problem. Basically I cant get on the internet, i'm with o2 pay&go. When I first got it safari would say something to the effect of "safari can't open the page because it can't find the server" and then it would say "could not activate EDGE: You are not subscribed to EDGE" I do not have the edge page under settings>general>network. I then discovered that I can access this when I put a different networks sim card in the iphone. So I swapped the sim cards and reswapped them while on that edge menu and then put various settings into that page. Non of them have solved the problem. Although one brought a different message up, something like "the connection to the server has been lost" but that particular setting did work with one web page only, o2's iphone page.

Please please please can somebody help me. I have looked around I would appreciate actual instructions instead of a link.

I understand that I wont achieve edge with my pay&go sim but I thought gprs would work. Am I wrong? Please help

Thanks In Advance

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
follow this:
1) Activate open SSH and connect to your iPhone
2) Go to /<root>/system/library/Carrier Bundles/O2_UK.bundle/
3) Upload and replace the modified file 'carrier.plist' to the directory.
4) Restart your iPhone.

the carrier.plist is in the zip file attatched

Attachments

• carrier.plist.zip
    968 bytes · Views: 86

wattso

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
Chester UK
thanks for the reply.

I'm really sorry but I need more detail than that, I'm not very good with this kind of stuff. Sorry

Also the zip file you attached opens with omnioutliner ? Is this right?
Thanks again

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
ok, open installer on the iphone
open all packages, and install community sources
once thats done, install bsd subsystem, close and re open installer
install openSSH on iphone

then you need an SSH app on your computer. use transmit for mac, not sure about pc
use google, search "ssh iphone windows"/"ssh iphone mac" for more help
then follow the instructions :)

wattso

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
Chester UK
ok. So I've changed the protocol to sftp, put the server as the iphones ip address, user name as root and password as dottie in transmit. Clicked connect and get a message "could not connect to server".

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for all the help so far.

wattso

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
Chester UK
Thankyou very much sir. I've managed to connect and upload the modified file using the password alpine.

Now, one small problem, safari still isn't working. But I do now have the edge setting. Now what do I do? :D

Thankyou again

wattso

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
Chester UK
Scrub that. Got it working with the help from another topic on this forum.

Thanks again.

(god it's slow :D ;) )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.