Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chatoyer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2006
Te Wai Pounamu, New Zealand
Hi all,

Am investigating a small annoyance with the 320GB WD Scorpio that I installed about four weeks ago. I'm hoping it's not an issue with the drive itself, but I guess time will tell.

Here's the problem. When my MB is left at 'idle' (i.e., not using it, perhaps the screensaver comes on, perhaps not) for about 10-15 min or so, when I return to it and, say, click on the title bar of an app that happens to be in the foreground (i.e., where I left it 10-15 min ago), I am unable to do anything for about 5-7 seconds. During that time, the HDD is writing something (I can tell as I have iStat menus enable and I can see read/write activity in my menu bar). If I stick my face right next to the MB, I can hear a faint 'tick tick tick' - the sound of writing (not overly loud, just as quiet as ever as it's a fairly quiet drive).

Console reveals nothing. Ran most of the stuff in Onyx and booted from an external mirror (thanks SuperDuper!) and ran TechTool Deluxe. All clear (although my boot time is slightly faster thanks to Onyx, but that's neither here nor there).

Has anyone experienced this? Haven't been able to find anything on these forums, but once instance on the WD forums:

http://websupport.wdc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6808

Would appreciate any insights!

David

chatoyer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2006
Sorted. It's not the hard drive. It's the Logitech Control Centre Daemon firing itself up after a period of idleness. It only happens when I have my VX Revolution plugged in at home. When I have my V450 Logitech mouse plugged in at work, no problem. Am investigating solutions...

chatoyer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2006
Just as a final follow-up to this original post, and for those who may happen across it in the future, the new version (I think 2.4.0) of the Logitech Control Centre (LCC) fixed the issue with the Revolution mouse.

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
Good job by solving it yourself and keeping us updated:D people on these forums are not always good to acknowledge and support fellower Mac'ers:)

So let me ask your a question mate. Your 320 - Is it noisy? And how many PRM does it have?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Glad someone else has a WD 320 GB as well. It's a great drive and I haven't had any issues with it yet. It's silent to me just like the 120 it replaced.

You might want to check your InputManagers with LCC installed. There are a few odds and ends that it runs in the background.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.