Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bazookafx3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Is there any .app to allow mono sound on my touch? i am deaf in an ear and music is less enjoyable with only half of the music.
thank you

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
Answer found by Honeybee1236 on ilounge forums:

"In iTunes go to Edit>Preferences>Advance>Importing and change the selection to mono and convert the songs. It will do all highlighted songs. So Edit>Select all to highlight them. When done leave them highlighted and press the delete key to remove the duplicates from the library."

Hope this helped.

bazookafx3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
That sort of helped, but i am looking for a way to simply play in mono when i want to, because when i have headphones i want mono but when i play from my speakers i want stereo.

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
Then you can double your tracks, have one set in mono and one in stereo. Alter song names to recognize which is which.

Petje

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2007
Same problem here

I have the same problem, only hope soon a hearing aid will restore my stereo hearing.

I realy thing that was a dumb solution (sorry if I hurt your feelings) doubling all my audio tracks.
I am looking for a way my iPod G5 to play mono is there a way without molesting my audiotracks?

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
I realy thing that was a dumb solution (sorry if I hurt your feelings) doubling all my audio tracks.

It's a suggestion. Take it or leave it. Calling a suggestion (for someone else) dumb merely because it doesn't suit your particular needs is juvenile.

Petje

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2007
Well sorry again, but don't you think it is kind of weird to go on copying all your music data because the product lacks a feature.

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
Apology accepted. :) I do agree that it's a bother to have to do so in order to have both stereo and mono versions of the same songs in order to enjoy them to their fullest in varied environments. Especially if you have a large music collection and a limited iPod hard drive. I searched around the web, and found several asking the same question, but no other solutions of yet. I wonder if there is a small device/switch that could connect to the headphone port on the ipod as a through port, and allow you to switch back and forth between mono and stereo? That's about the only solution I can think of short of a software update that allowed you to toggle on the iPod itself.

Maybe you could post in the programmers thread, and see if someone there is up for making an app that could do this? Good luck, I hope you can find a solution.

iJordo

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2007
best option is to...

Apology accepted. :) I do agree that it's a bother to have to do so in order to have both stereo and mono versions of the same songs in order to enjoy them to their fullest in varied environments. Especially if you have a large music collection and a limited iPod hard drive. I searched around the web, and found several asking the same question, but no other solutions of yet. I wonder if there is a small device/switch that could connect to the headphone port on the ipod as a through port, and allow you to switch back and forth between mono and stereo? That's about the only solution I can think of short of a software update that allowed you to toggle on the iPod itself.

Maybe you could post in the programmers thread, and see if someone there is up for making an app that could do this? Good luck, I hope you can find a solution.

go here and buy a pair of headphones with a mono/stereo switch... it should do the trick for you!

http://reviews.cnet.com/4566-6468_7-0.html?filter=500909_5418659_
goodluck!
Jordan

Petje

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2007
I saw some threads where people started soldering their headphones, and thought it might be for sale.

I found this cheap option:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/Full/fk14q.jpg

Thinking about that I start to wonder if it would work, or have I now made a dumb proposal myself ?

Now I'm sure that it a dumb proposal, shame on me.

guus

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2009
I have the same problem

The proposal didn't appear that bad, others suggested this to me as well.
I bought this thing this morning, costs less than 2 euro, but unfortunately it doesn't work on my iPhone: I get no sound anymore at all.
Maybe I try the iTunes mono importing solution.
There should be many many people who are half-deaf or for other reasons use the headphone only on one side. Apple, please make option in iTunes to transfer music in mono to iPhone or iPod. Should not be difficult.

Toronto111

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2009
What you want is to go from stereo to mono, not mono to stereo. Stereo was fairly new when the Beatles came along and a lot of their songs took advantage of the whole right - left thing stereo offers. In order to convert their songs to mono, you'll have to re-rip the CD and tell iTunes to rip it in mono format.

EmzWayHoward

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2011
Solunion:

The comment above is right! It really works and saves you buying a gizmo! (I put my sound on mono a month ago by accident)

andy007007

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2012
There must be a button somewhere, I have tried all of above and nothing works. I'm playing it through a mono Marshal guitar amp so we can have some music outdoors for the Jubilee!. Not long to go, help!! please :confused:

OpenSourceRebel

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2012
Set Your iPhone to Mono

Is there any .app to allow mono sound on my touch? i am deaf in an ear and music is less enjoyable with only half of the music.
thank you

Hey bazookafx3, follow these instructions and you should be good to go without having to convert any files. This change will also allow you to take phone calls in mono, get game audio in mono, etc.

- Press the settings button.
- Then press General.
- Then press Accessibility.
- Then switch Mono Audio to 'On'.
or
- Alternatively you could pan the sound to the left or right via the slider immediately below the Mono Audio switch. Depending on which ear you're deaf in, panning it completely to one side would prevent any audio from blasting into the ear that's not functioning properly.

There's also a hearing aid mode within this panel, but I've never used it.

Cheers,
Dela

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.