Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Old Mar 17, 2008, 02:02 AM   #1
zcarter
macrumors member

Simple Hello World Tutorial - iPhone SDK

Hey guys...

As I said before, I'm working on iPhoneDevCentral.org - a new tool for anybody to view (hopefully) a full database of tutorials about the iPhone SDK. Anyone is welcome to submit their videos to me so I can post them for people to view.

Anyway..

I have made a Simple "Hello World" Tutorial that uses the UILabel Class. I will discuss how to work with the style of font on the labels, creating transparent backgrounds for the labels, font color, initiating the label onto the main screen of the iphone and more. It's about a 16 minute tutorial. I also discuss the basic syntax of creating functions.

Let me know what you think. (Of course this is BASIC)...I'm hoping I will be receiving more tutorials (Basic, intermediate, and advanced ones) so I can upload them to my site so other people can enjoy them.

My next tutorial, I will be getting into creating lists.

Anyway, the link to the Hello World App Tutorial is below:

http://rednovacorp.info/~iphonede/ip...loWorldApp.zip

Hopefully in a couple of hours my new domain should transfer over and it can be found at

http://www.iphonedevcentral.org/ipho...loWorldApp.zip

Otherwise click the first link above..

- Zac
zcarter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 02:39 PM   #2
MDMstudios
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcarter View Post
Hey guys...

As I said before, I'm working on iPhoneDevCentral.org - a new tool for anybody to view (hopefully) a full database of tutorials about the iPhone SDK. Anyone is welcome to submit their videos to me so I can post them for people to view.

Anyway..

I have made a Simple "Hello World" Tutorial that uses the UILabel Class. I will discuss how to work with the style of font on the labels, creating transparent backgrounds for the labels, font color, initiating the label onto the main screen of the iphone and more. It's about a 16 minute tutorial. I also discuss the basic syntax of creating functions.

Let me know what you think. (Of course this is BASIC)...I'm hoping I will be receiving more tutorials (Basic, intermediate, and advanced ones) so I can upload them to my site so other people can enjoy them.

My next tutorial, I will be getting into creating lists.

Anyway, the link to the Hello World App Tutorial is below:

http://rednovacorp.info/~iphonede/ip...loWorldApp.zip

Hopefully in a couple of hours my new domain should transfer over and it can be found at

http://www.iphonedevcentral.org/ipho...loWorldApp.zip

Otherwise click the first link above..

- Zac
Thanks for the great tutorial, its the first tutorial that I felt like I really was able to get a lot out of it and understand the workings of the iPhone SDK a little bit more.
MDMstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 09:40 PM   #3
Kev1000000
macrumors member

Thanks a ton man. This is really really good stuff. I am eagerly awaiting your next tutorial!

Thanks again man, and keep up the great work.
Kev1000000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 04:39 PM   #4
MiniMacLean
macrumors newbie

Thanks alot!!

Great tutorial!!

First programming i have ever done and i found it easy!!

Thanks again
MiniMacLean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2008, 01:09 PM   #5
fenrus110
macrumors regular

great to the point tutorial
fenrus110 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2008, 09:39 PM   #6
zippyfly
macrumors regular

Great stuff.

But one suggestion is not to type out the other examples of function calls, etc. in other languages. It can be confusing as subconsciously I am memorizing the syntax for the other languages (or you are reminding me about other languages and then I get confused if that is the way to do it in ObjC or what).

Just some feedback from a newbie watching this.

Thanks!
zippyfly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 03:26 PM   #7
Monkaaay
macrumors 6502

Awesome example, thanks!
Monkaaay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 03:38 PM   #8
pixelbug
macrumors newbie

Iphone SDK for non programmers

Hello,
First I'd like to say thanks for posting this tutorial. Second can we start a list of places that have very basic resources for someone who is not a programmer like myself? I'm a designer. And My strengths are in designing interfaces but would like to learn how to build my own app.

Thanks in advance.

Pixelbug
pixelbug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 09:20 AM   #9
anmldr
macrumors member

Does anyone know what happened to the tutorial? The links are broken.

Linda
anmldr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 01:12 PM   #10
MDMstudios
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmldr View Post
Does anyone know what happened to the tutorial? The links are broken.

Linda
There has been a few changes to the website, if you go to http://iphonedevcentral.org/ you should be able to find that tutorial and many others.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 04:38 AM   #11
ryosaeb4
macrumors newbie

Dear friend I'ma new MacRumors user from Italy,

I wish know if someone can Help me to find a tutorial to make a streaming radio application for iPhone....

Thanks
ryosaeb4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2008, 02:51 AM   #12
UsmanIsmail
macrumors newbie

Slightly more complex hello world

Hi created a sightly more complex hello world tutorial which covers the use of UIButtons and handling a button click.

http://knol.google.com/k/usman-ismai...#H0-HelloWorld

Its a bit raw so please leave feedback and I will correct any problems.
UsmanIsmail is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2008, 02:53 AM   #13
UsmanIsmail
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelbug View Post
Hello,
First I'd like to say thanks for posting this tutorial. Second can we start a list of places that have very basic resources for someone who is not a programmer like myself? I'm a designer. And My strengths are in designing interfaces but would like to learn how to build my own app.

Thanks in advance.

Pixelbug
What kind of app are you looking to build, unfortunately the tutorials are a bit spread out at the moment.

--Usman
UsmanIsmail is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2008, 12:53 AM   #14
nandanmehra
macrumors newbie

Sim Card Data information

Hi to all ,
i m very new in iphone programming actually in one of my project i need to fatch the data from the simcard .like in our normal phone when we go sim card service menu then it open a link related to that sim card service ..this is what i have to do bya programming(using cocoa language).can some one help to me i m very thxful to him

thanks in advance
nandan mehra
nandanmehra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 12:32 AM   #15
QueenZ
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to QueenZ Send a message via MSN to QueenZ Send a message via Yahoo to QueenZ Send a message via Skype™ to QueenZ
thanks you so much for the tutorial. I guess i can start making iPhone apps already

http://www.QueenZSoftware.com/Forums
QueenZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2009, 03:02 PM   #16
ChaosFromAbove
macrumors newbie

I know this is an old topic but...

...the website went down (account suspended)...and I was just starting to learn plz fix it zach!
ChaosFromAbove is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2009, 03:13 PM   #17
themoonisdown09
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFromAbove View Post
I know this is an old topic but...

...the website went down (account suspended)...and I was just starting to learn plz fix it zach!
Maybe you should send him a message about this. You will probably get a response a lot quicker than posting here, especially since this is an older thread.
themoonisdown09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2009, 04:01 PM   #18
MDMstudios
macrumors member

I believe that the website was sold over to Nitrex, right?
Old May 14, 2009, 06:49 PM   #19
mraheel
macrumors regular

I dont know if this is gonna help anyone but this would have given me some direction had I read it before. All newbies including me jus downloaded SDKs straightway and started playing around with it.. I think I should have done more in the start. This article summerized my pain! http://imandroid.org/2009/05/13/gett...-a-mobile-app/
mraheel is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming