Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Mar 17, 2008, 08:49 PM   #1
Luis
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Luis
Mac Mini not getting past grey boot screen after 10.5 Server install

My father and I got a Mac Mini to work as a home file server, but we have encountered the strange problem the title suggests. We install OS X perfectly, but after we enable autologin (so we can VNC into it immediately without a monitor) the computer simply won't get past the grey apple screen.

Please bear in mind that we are extreme server newbies and we are trying to make this sort of a learning experience. Is there any obvious preference we are missing?

EDIT: We figured that we should upgrade the RAM, so today we installed 2GB and will test what happens when we install Server. Either way, any ideas?
the crownless again shall be King.
Luis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 09:33 PM   #2
Carl Spackler
macrumors 6502

Possibly, an answer: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...5/en/8964.html
Carl Spackler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 09:40 PM   #3
Luis
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Luis
Thanks, however the strange thing is that when running normal (ie non-server) Leopard, the machine works just fine.
the crownless again shall be King.
Luis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2008, 08:41 PM   #4
zarathustra
macrumors 6502a

I have a mini set up as a server running 10.5 (intel core duo 1.7ghz/2GB Ram). Installation went smoothly and have been up & running since then.

Try booting from the install DVD again, and re-install if necessary. You don't have to be logged in on the server to connect to it with VNC/ScreenSharing.

I would use ServerAdmin or the Server Preferences applications to control the server headlessly from a client machine, rather than a pure VNC client.
zarathustra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2008, 04:39 PM   #5
deriko100
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis View Post
My father and I got a Mac Mini to work as a home file server, but we have encountered the strange problem the title suggests. We install OS X perfectly, but after we enable autologin (so we can VNC into it immediately without a monitor) the computer simply won't get past the grey apple screen.

Please bear in mind that we are extreme server newbies and we are trying to make this sort of a learning experience. Is there any obvious preference we are missing?

EDIT: We figured that we should upgrade the RAM, so today we installed 2GB and will test what happens when we install Server. Either way, any ideas?
btw what were you gonna do with the mac mini server like music .docx idk
Old Oct 7, 2008, 08:46 AM   #6
Valorite
macrumors newbie

I had this same issue installing 10.5 server on my Mac Pro.

It would go to grey screen and just sit there, or reboot itself. After turning it off/on like 10 times it finally managed to boot into OSX and has been fine since.

Dunno how helpful that is, though if you've only tried a couple times I recommend a few more, worked for me
Valorite is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking