Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crawn2003

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005
Santa Rosa, California
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Okay. I am now officially creeped out.

~Crawn

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
AT-ATs here we come!

at-at-ball.jpg

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
It's amazing how far they've come. I'm sure the military will find strategic uses for it, hopefully to prevent loss of life in battle. Perhaps in 5 years they will make a scaled down, pleo-like version for consumers. Can't imagine what that monstrous-bot cost to develop so far.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
It's amazing how far they've come. I'm sure the military will find strategic uses for it, hopefully to prevent loss of life in battle. Perhaps in 5 years they will make a scaled down, pleo-like version for consumers. Can't imagine what that monstrous-bot cost to develop so far.

Exactly, if it was worth a fortune they wouldn't take it somewhere icey, or let someone kick it!

That being said, I actually laughed when it was "galloping", it looks pretty ridiculous at best, I'm sure if it was used in modern combat the enemy would be killed, because they'd be too busy laughing to destroy it...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I'm sorry, but I don't like this. If I'm going to abuse my dog, I want him to topple over and wimper. What's the fun if the dog constantly regains his balance?

Stephen Hawkings + this dog's legs = :eek:

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
If they give it a minigun and solar cells we are officially screwed.

jprovost

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2007
Toronto
BigDog Cutaway Technical Illustration

I was fortunate enough to do some technical illustration work of Big Dog for Boston Dynamics. It was a really interesting project to work on to say the least.

tbigdog.jpg

For those interested in seeing some of its inner-workings, a final cutaway illustration can be seen (and zoomed-in on) at http://www.jamesprovost.com/illustration/bigdog.php

iSamurai

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2007
ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
ok. this thing is frikking scary and it's as annoying as a fly.

other than that, it's quite cool. but I wouldn't want one though. I liked the part where the guy kicks it haha :) probably the thing senses that it's "slipping on some slippery surface" and it just balances itself out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.