Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malloy82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2008
Hi All,

I am running Leopard Server in my office. We have 3 macbook pro client machines that currently use it to share files.

I am wanting to use the servers full potential.

1. I want users to have to log onto the server environment of a morning (Currently they just connect to the wireless network)

2. I want users to be able to access applications that are installed on the server. Such as Project x, address book, steel etc. It would be great if users could access these applications and collaboratively work on projects rather than having the applications installed on each client machine and them working individually.

3. Lastly I have external clients using windows machines who i would like to grant restricted access to the server for file sharing. Is this possible?

A standard configuration was chosen when installing leopard server and all clients have a username set up within directory on the server.

Any suggestions on how to implement either of these three points would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Malloy

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Hi,

On Tiger Server you use Directory Access on each client to put your server IP in the 'LDAP' bit. Then, when ever someone logs in on that client, it'll check your Open Directory for their username and password. Open Directory can also be used to set up each users home area and share points.

I don't do application sharing. At first, somehow, users on the network could run apps off of my machine. It was deathly slow. So, now I install apps directly on each machine. However, they still have a 'Shared' area so they can easily collaborate on work.

There's an option to enable Windows machines connecting somewhere. Once that's on, Windows machines can access shares/home areas with the correct username and password by entering the server IP into windows explorer.

malloy82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2008
Thanks for the tips lesKern and miniConvert,

I am playing around with directory on my client mac now.

What about if I just wanted to share one common address book?

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Thanks for the tips lesKern and miniConvert,

I am playing around with directory on my client mac now.

What about if I just wanted to share one common address book?

Open Directory does that as well. On Leopard, it will make the address book that OD/LDAP provide accessible to the end user.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.