Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
You can probably import them into iMovie (on 06 or earlier, just drag the AVI file to the clips pane and it should import automatically if it's using a codec that QT support; haven't used 08), and then burn the resulting iMovie using iDVD easily enough. I've done this in the past with some web video clips I wanted to mix together.

If you're having trouble with that, you can use a utility like ffmpeg to convert from AVI to a dv stream, which iMovie can definitely import, and iDVD can probably even use directly.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
I do not think iMovie will work with AVIs unless you have the proper compenents installed in Quicktime. Usually, if Quicktime can play it, iMovie can edit it. If not, then you need to convert it to a different format. I recommend Visual Hub to convert.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I have some various AVI files that I would like to burn to DVD with menus for personal use, can this be done in iDVD?
You don't need to convert anything if you have the proper QuickTime codecs installed. The popular Perian codec suite is a good place to start.

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 13, 2005
Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
Thanks for the help; however, I solved my issue by just using Toast 8 which does all the encoding for me. I didn't know why I didn't think about that before. I really didn't want a menu anyhow as I would rather the videos just play.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Just in case anyone stumbles on this thread, there is freeware that does the same this as Toast 8: Burn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.