Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mo Tiggas

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2005
Oregon, USA
Why was the powerbook 12" such a good computer that it still holds its prestige and popularity? I love the PB 12", but it seems that some of the newer 13" models would be a better option, at only a little more money. Was it the size, durability, power, and great look of that small 12"

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
The 12" square form factor is nice and compact.

I have an IBM Thinkpad X31 with the same screen and is thinner since it has no optical drive.

Though, using my new MacBook, I really like the 13" WS form factor.

Now, as far as the 12", I think people need to let go and move on... :p

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
The 12" PB (which I once owned and loved) is totally extinct. Apple does not sell anything close to this now. The small form factor and the power is still very attractive and has a lot of Mac users swooning.

MrT8064

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
UK
older macs seem to run pretty fast still, and the design of the powerbook 15/17" is pretty much the same as their macbook pro cousins!

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
It has retro cool value and exclusivity.

Some claim it's size makes it more practical than the 13.3" alternatives.

I think it just has a cool-factor of something special.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
The 12" PB (which I once owned and loved) is totally extinct. Apple does not sell anything close to this now. The small form factor and the power is still very attractive and has a lot of Mac users swooning.

IBM still has it's 12" X-Series, but I think Apple wanted to go on to the "Media" format Widescreen. A 12" Widescreen is kinda small, so they went with the 13"...

Nostalgia?

New Apple owners wouldn't prefer it over their MacBooks or MacBook Airs for sure.

MacBook definitely over the 12" PB (my friend has one for work).

chas0001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
Alicante, SPAIN
I love my powerbook G4 12". I have had it over 4 years and not had a single problem with it. My mother uses it now and its still quite snappy.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Why was the powerbook 12" such a good computer that it still holds its prestige and popularity? I love the PB 12", but it seems that some of the newer 13" models would be a better option, at only a little more money. Was it the size, durability, power, and great look of that small 12"

So many people don't want a 13" MacBook, but still want somthing comperable. If Apple made a 12" MacBook or 12" MBP they wouldn't be able to keep them on the shelf, that is why the MBA is selling so well.

TEG

BanjoBanker

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2006
Mt Brook, AL
I still use my trusty 867 12" PB when I travel. The form factor is just about perfect for airline seat trays. It is also a touch lighter than my BlackBook. The battery is getting a little short on run time, may have to retire it when the battery goes. It still draws envious stares when I pull it out of my bag in a coffee shop! :cool::apple: If Apple were to make an Intel version of the 12" PB, I would buy it in a flash.:D As it is, I am saving up for a MacBook Air, a cool machine, but not as cool as the little PB.

bangpitcher

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
It's pretty simple - the MacBook Pro 15" is friggin' huge!

And the MacBook isn't a pro level machine. AND it has that bloody shiny screen.

Ergo, we're all trying to coax as much life out of our little 12" buddies as we can.

-bp

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
I think one of the reasons why Powerbooks haven't fallen out of fashion is that they have timeless design.

I had a Titanium Powerbook recently, which I brought into my school's library to get some work done. Everyone swooned over it, with some comments on how "new-looking" it was, and three people mistook it for a MBA.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
So many people don't want a 13" MacBook, but still want somthing comperable. If Apple made a 12" MacBook or 12" MBP they wouldn't be able to keep them on the shelf, that is why the MBA is selling so well.

TEG

They want a Macbook but they don't want a MACBOOK. They won't admit this to themselves, but the same, lower-end laptop that every college student has doesn't have the bling factor they are craving. They want a macbook but want to feel special.

So, they go for the 12" PB :)

-Allen

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007

TEG

A max speed of 1.33 Ghz G4 is not even close to being comparable to even the slowest clocked Core 2. I think people need to let it go, but hey, if it still works, why not keep using it.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
They want a Macbook but they don't want a MACBOOK. They won't admit this to themselves, but the same, lower-end laptop that every college student has doesn't have the bling factor they are craving. They want a macbook but want to feel special.

Nostalgia?

I think you're both right. I used to own a 12" PowerBook, and I loved it. When I put my 12" PB beside my MacBook, or even on top, there was very little difference in size. The only real difference to me was the shape of the laptop, with the 12" PB obviously a bit more square. With the screen open, it was also taller than the MacBook, which made the 12" PB slightly more difficult for me to use on airplanes.

The MacBook is a better computer simply because it's newer. The 12" PowerBook, while slower and less useful for my needs today, has the prettier outer shell. Also, there are so many new Mac users, that some older Mac users need to feel like they're special and got into Macs before others did. It's just exclusivity, which is a euphemism for "ego". But there is demand for those things. I sold my used 12" PowerBook for around $750 USD, and it was one of the slower 1 GHz G4 models.

ribbonthecat

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Chicago, IL
When I need power, I use my iMac. When I need portability, I use my 12' PB, the most portable computer Apple ever made. My iMac has four times the processor, HD, RAM, and screen size. But the Powerbook does just fine for MS Word, Mail, internet, and checking Macrumors.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
When I need power, I use my iMac. When I need portability, I use my 12' PB, the most portable computer Apple ever made. My iMac has four times the processor, HD, RAM, and screen size. But the Powerbook does just fine for MS Word, Mail, internet, and checking Macrumors.

That's quite a large powerbook you got there a 12 Footer eh? I think you meant 12".

cloudnine

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2006
San Francisco, CA
i love my pb 12" :) i've had it for almost 2.5 years, and it still works great! i get about 3 hours of battery life out of it, and i can run adobe cs2 with no problems... leopard runs fine on it, and it's just a great little machine :) and the dedicated graphics doesn't hurt, either :)

i love it because it's tiny, powerful, and doesn't have the plastic feel of the macbooks... but that's just me :p

UCLA-Bruin

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
The PB12 was my favorite machine period.

- form factor
- keyboard
- smallness
- more people owned iBooks in those days and so the PowerBook 12 was the cool kids club machine.

Now that the MacBook is everywhere, my BlackBook puts me in the cool kids club and I'm happy about that...I would never trade down because the speed and screen size are too worth it.

timsutcliffe

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
I've had my 12" Powerbook for nearly 3 years now, and it's still going ok. My fiance has a MacBook, and i think i'd get a second hand one of these rather than the macbook. I'm not sure what exactly is so good about them though.

I think i would replace this with an MBA if i could afford too, it seems a lot more portable than the macbook.

Mo Tiggas

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2005
Oregon, USA
But these computers are four years old. Has Apple really not come up with a comparable machine since then. Why would people buy a 500-600 PB, when they can get a new MB for 1000. Don't get me wrong, they are a flawless machine and look so cool, and still perform so well. Will that be the MB pros in five years?

FJ218700

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2007
Blue Dot, Red State
But these computers are four years old. Has Apple really not come up with a comparable machine since then. Why would people buy a 500-600 PB, when they can get a new MB for 1000. Don't get me wrong, they are a flawless machine and look so cool, and still perform so well. Will that be the MB pros in five years?

your answer is right there

the 12 inch PB is iconic, the MB is nothing special to look at. for many, appearances trump personality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.