Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sptz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
Hi, I have a MBP 2.4 SR and windows XP 32bit is installed on Boot Camp... I would like to know if it's possible to resize the OSX partition to make it bigger... Or do I have to uninstall windows and install it again...? Because I really need the space...

Btw, is there a program that can tell me what optional leopard software (printer drivers etc.) are installed?

Thanks in advance!!

JNB

macrumors 604
1. Get WinClone, copy the Windows partition off to another drive.

2. Delete the Windows partition using Boot Camp Assistant, then create it again (using BCA) to the preferred new size.

3. (WinClone again) Restore Windows from the other drive to the new BC partition.

4. Enjoy!

Sptz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
Hm... Is cloning the windows installation 100% trustable? Because I have really important work in there, (I use it mainly for sound production) will all my programs as well as drivers etc be there?

JNB

macrumors 604
Hm... Is cloning the windows installation 100% trustable? Because I have really important work in there, (I use it mainly for sound production) will all my programs as well as drivers etc be there?

I had the same fears, as I have custom proprietary apps, critical data running on Oracle & SQL db's, 7 years' worth of Quicken data, the whole shootin' match. Actually, it runs better than it did before, I can launch Parallels without unmounting my external (that was a problem before), and I can once again reboot into Windows (which started failing for me around 10.5.1, iirc). Also, there's no reactivation or other nonsense. I <3 WinClone!

Sptz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
Hm.. Ok, I'm gonna do that, I was just worried if the Anti virus / external soundcard drivers, etc wouldn't work or would conflict or something, thanks! :)

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
I had the same fears, as I have custom proprietary apps, critical data running on Oracle & SQL db's, 7 years' worth of Quicken data, the whole shootin' match. Actually, it runs better than it did before, I can launch Parallels without unmounting my external (that was a problem before), and I can once again reboot into Windows (which started failing for me around 10.5.1, iirc). Also, there's no reactivation or other nonsense. I <3 WinClone!

You cant boot Windows from an external drive...

2ms

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2002
Can you change your partition from fat32 to NTFS while you are at it with Winclone, or do you have to keep using the same file system?

hodilun

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2008
Restoring clone

Hi. I read the instructions and have a few questions. Grateful if you guys could help.
What is the destination of the file that i am supposed to image and where?
I know saving the image to a NTFS formatted external drive is not encouraged, but i do not have a mac formatted external drive. Would i mess up the imaging if i went ahead and save it into a ntfs formatted drive?
Also, after deleting and resizing the windows partition and rebooted, do i just open the image file created with winclone and it would run automatically?

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
Hi. I read the instructions and have a few questions. Grateful if you guys could help.
What is the destination of the file that i am supposed to image and where?
I know saving the image to a NTFS formatted external drive is not encouraged, but i do not have a mac formatted external drive. Would i mess up the imaging if i went ahead and save it into a ntfs formatted drive?
Also, after deleting and resizing the windows partition and rebooted, do i just open the image file created with winclone and it would run automatically?

Well if you are talking about the image file that will be created/saved by WinClone, it will need to be saved on a Mac formatted volume since Winclone is a Mac program- thus can't write to an NTFS drive (unless you have installed MacFUSE and NTFS-3G or Paragon and even that is not recommended in the FAQ link below).

Make particular note of the differences between restoring a FAT32 image vs. an NTFS image in the WinClone docs in the FAQs. If your Boot Camp partition is currently FAT32 when you make the image, no matter what size you enlarge the partition to it will shrink to the original size when your image is restored to it for example, which is why WinClone recommends you convert your BootCamp partition to NTFS before you clone it so it can be restored to an enlarged BC partition. If you have a FAT32 partition now and want to convert it to NTFS, see the second post in the FAQ link for instructions.

After re-establishing your new Boot Camp partition, open WinClone and use the "Restore" tab at the top to set up the restoration process. It will not run automatically.

carbonatd

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2008
Camp Tune

After discovering this thread and not finding a lazy-enough answer (or a more current thread, for that matter), I found this (although WinClone looks like an extremely handy tool)

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/camptune/free_download.html

Plug from tuaw.com 7.30.09 (this offer is still valid)
--
Paragon software has made available a pre-release version of Camp Tune, a new utility for resizing your Boot Camp partition without destroying data. While the Leopard version of Disk Utility is now able to perform partition resizing, it is not able to resize a Boot Camp partition without erasing it (although you could back it up and restore it if needed). Camp Tune runs as a bootable Linux-based CD which allows you to boot your Mac and reallocate disk space between your Boot Camp and HFS+ partition.

Camp Tune for Mac is presently in pre-release and is being offered as a free download (registration required). The download is a disk image that must be burned to a CD or DVD. Needless to say, you should have a backup for both partitions before using any software of this sort.

--

Unfortunately, the unlazy part about all of these partition-adjustment programs is that they all need complete access to your disk drive, which means you need either a bootable CD or external drive with os x on it. Camptune can create a bootable disk, but how much do I trust Linux with my Boot Camp Assistant-made partitions? The full version of iPartition comes with a copy of their CDMaker software, which creates a bootable disk for use with iPartition. I downloaded the iPartition demo, but without a external disk (they're all at work except for a rinky dink 60gb Mercury Elite), I was unable to test it out. I also plan to do a FULL backup before messing with partitions.

Oh, but then I remembered my 16gb flash drive.

Naturally, I then discovered this.

http://www.maciverse.com/install-boot-os-x-leopard-from-a-usb-flash-drive.html

Now we're talking lazy.

Linah4

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2011
Hey i am trying to shrink my windows partition, (it is currently at 70gb, but i am only using about 21 gb), so I was thinking of shrinking it to 35-40gb and getting that space back on my mac side. Can somebody help me out?

This is what i've don e so far:

- Downloaded Winclone
- created an image of my windows partition, and stored it on my external hard drive.
- What's next?

By the way, i've just recently upgraded to Snow Leopard, and am planning on upgrading to Lion in the next couple of days... will/does any of this affect anything?

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.