Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Mar 19, 2008, 03:51 AM   #1
Ian S
macrumors newbie

Excel 2008 formula bar problem

The left edge of my excel formula bar is not showing-almost as if it was pushed off the left side of the desktop (see picture). Unfortunately, the only part of the formula bar that allows it to move is now hidden, so I can no longer move the formula bar. I have tried switching the formula bar on and of in "View" and also tried re-loading excel, but it is stuck.

Does anybody know how to reset the formula bar position?

Thanks in advance.

Ian S.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	496.7 KB
ID:	108466  
Ian S is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2008, 10:31 AM   #2
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Try moving Excel's preference file to your desktop then relaunching Excel. It's probably in /Users/username/Library/Preferences and called com.microsoft.Excel.plist.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 11:49 AM   #3
nemex
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
The left edge of my excel formula bar is not showing-almost as if it was pushed off the left side of the desktop (see picture). Unfortunately, the only part of the formula bar that allows it to move is now hidden, so I can no longer move the formula bar. I have tried switching the formula bar on and of in "View" and also tried re-loading excel, but it is stuck.

Does anybody know how to reset the formula bar position?

Thanks in advance.

Ian S.
Gee! this is bad, have you tried ctrl-clicking in the Formula bar? I just did and a Reset toolbar option appears there (in my case appears greyed out but my formula bar is in the correct position)

Hope this helps!
Old Mar 19, 2008, 08:08 PM   #4
Ian S
macrumors newbie

The control clicking idea did not work, but deleting the excel plist file worked perfectly. Thanks wrldwzrd89
Ian S is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 11:55 AM   #5
dduff617
macrumors newbie

i had the same problem. i was able to fix it. but it has come back again a few more times since. there's definitely something screwy here. shouldn't be this much work to straighten out basic toolbars.
dduff617 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2009, 02:14 PM   #6
bigchiefmunkey
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldwzrd89 View Post
Try moving Excel's preference file to your desktop then relaunching Excel. It's probably in /Users/username/Library/Preferences and called com.microsoft.Excel.plist.
Hey, I launched excel this morning and my titlebar was all sorts of jacked up - it was like 10px wide and scrolled any selected cell's text downwards one character wide. wow, annoying.

I reset this plist file and it now works like a champ. Registered to just thank thank you *(:
bigchiefmunkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 09:59 PM   #7
tthornyone
macrumors newbie

Formula Bar Alignment Fix

I'm using Excel 12..

I was unable to fix with others mentioned here, until I found the preference "Excel Toolbars (12)"

I moved Excel's Toolbar preference file to my desktop (could have trashed it) then relaunched Excel. Mine was in /Users/username/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Office 2008 and called "Excel Toolbars (12)".

I hope this helps others! Good Macin' to you!!
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:48 PM   #8
Vincent63
macrumors newbie

You saved my life ! Works fine with me

You saved my life ! Works fine with me
Vincent63 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store