Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shotglass

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
I love my iPod. In fact, I love probably every iPod ever released. People say I'm a fanboy, but I think I'm not that bad. I still do respect Sony's MP3 players. Simply because they did the original Walkman and should be on top of the game.

Are there any brands or models of MP3 players that you think of as respectable alternatives to the iPod?

stomer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
I'd probably buy an iRiver device. I had one before I bought my iPod and it was a great little thing.
Personally I would never buy a Sony product on principle. I had a NetMD and although is wasn't in itself a bad device, the software that you were forced to use was pure garbage. I order to get music on the device you had to first convert your mp3s to their stupid ATRAC format.
If Sony had their way, we'd all be using ATRAC, their CDs would all contain rootkits and all their music would be DRM'd.
I'd never purchase anything from a company that engages in nefarious business practices.

jimmer-uk

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2008
In all seriousness, if Apple do start engaging in business practices similar to those of MS or Sony, then I'd have to look elsewhere for my technology purchases.

Best start looking elsewhere then mate. All these companies are the same, Apple is just a well marketed one.

Anyone that thinks otherwise, imo, is seriously diluded and/or a fanboy

cubbie5150

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2007
Once I sell my 16GB touch, I am gonna try out a Cowon D2...those things look sweet, and supposedly the SQ (sound quality) is terrific...much more than can be said for iPods in general. I don't have very many DRM'd music on my machine anyway....so inability to play tunes purchased from iTMS is no biggie for me.

Simicino

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2008
Ipod Classic: For it's feature set and price, I believe the current Classic is superior to any alternative.

Ipod Touch: I believe it's better over-all than the Q5 but many disagree and the Q5 has more options.

Ipod Nano: The Nano is a weak link. I strongly feel the Sony's are far superior flash-based players. If we are just looking at sound quality, then there is no argument--the Sony's win hands down and by quite a bit.

Ipod Shuffle: Another weak offering. Again by sound quality, the Sansa Clip is the obvious winner here and by quite a bit--many feel the Clip is the best sounding un-amped mp3 playe on the market.

Other notable mentions: The Cowon D2 is remarkable (amazing sound and 50+ hours of battery life!); the Iaudio 7 is notable for its sound quality;

Biggest Ipod weaknesses:

-Crappy format support resulting in mediocre sound (no FLAC, etc).
-Average battery life
-Pricing on some (Shuffle and Nano are over-priced).
-Many PMPs have SD-slots and some prefer this, as it allows for cheap 16gb+ players with infinite rotating selection.
-No FM tuner for those who care.

jimmer-uk

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2008
You make a sweeping generalisation, you make no argument to back up your opinion and then you say that anyone who disagrees is deluded.
Nice.

There are plenty of examples, open your eyes. You reply is sharp, hitting a nerve perhaps? Don't be a mug as to fall into thinking apple are cleaner than clean, you really are brainwashed. cuckoo

stomer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
There are plenty of examples, open your eyes. You reply is sharp, hitting a nerve perhaps?
No, not really. I just think you should write something to back up your claims, then I might have something to argue against, otherwise the discussion is pointless.

jimmer-uk

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2008
No, not really. I just think you should write something to back up your claims, then I might have something to argue against, otherwise the discussion is pointless.

Sorry, i'm not here for an arguement. jst do some digging, there's plenty of reasons not to buy from any of these companies, i'm not saying don't buy etc. At the end of the day at least apple put a nice spin on things and it helps their stuff always looks better than the opposition!!

I've found this an interesting article of late

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.