Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Mar 19, 2008, 07:44 AM   #1
flyingswordfish
macrumors newbie

How to make Automator find and delete duplicate photos?

I got my MacBook a few days ago, and I love it! However, when I transferred over my files, I must have accidentally brought over at least some of my photos twice. I was looking through the smart folder for "All Images" in the Finder last night (in cover flow), and I noticed that every photo seemed to be showing up twice!

I would like to take care of this, but I have a lot of photos, so doing it manually could be a pain! How can I set up Automator to do this? I've never used Automator before, and I looked at it a little bit, but I didn't see an obvious solution.

Thanks!
flyingswordfish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2008, 08:18 AM   #2
jerry1
macrumors member

Hopefully someone has a good answer because I've been wondering about this myself!
Old Mar 19, 2008, 05:02 PM   #3
flyingswordfish
macrumors newbie

Anybody have advice? It seems like this should be an easy task to accomplish. Perhaps there is an alternative to Automator?
Old Mar 19, 2008, 11:04 PM   #4
flyingswordfish
macrumors newbie

So I figured out what's going on. Each photo has a thumbnail version created with it. Looking in iPhoto, I can see that some pictures have a blank square for a thumbnail, and those must be the ones I deleted. I will simply have to restore the ones I deleted, since I want the thumbnails and I have plenty of HDD space.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 03:57 PM   #5
Dal123
macrumors 6502a

It's been a year.

It's been a year since this thread was posted and I think there must be a way of doing this. Maybe 'sort by' something like that.
Anyone know how to delete duplicated photo's with automator?
Dal123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 04:04 PM   #6
angelwatt
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dal123 View Post
It's been a year since this thread was posted and I think there must be a way of doing this. Maybe 'sort by' something like that.
Anyone know how to delete duplicated photo's with automator?
I'm not sure about Automator, but I use a program called ViewIt that will find duplicate images. This isn't its main feature and isn't listed in their feature set, but it's there.
angelwatt is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store