Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Mar 19, 2008, 11:57 AM   #1
cleo
macrumors 65816

Song Rating, Album Rating, and Smart Playlists

I have a smart playlist that, in addition to excluding some genres, requires a four our five star song rating. Cool.

This morning, while walking the dog, I heard a song I couldn't place. I got home and realized the following:

If an album rating is set, but a rating is not set for a particular song, iTunes gives the same rating as the album to the song, in those little hollow stars.

What I didn't realize is that smart playlists apparently treat the hollow stars/"guessed" rating the same as a rating I've actually set.

So if I buy an album and give it 4 stars, but only rate a couple singles that I already love, the rest of the songs get dumped into my playlist, even though I haven't rated them, specifically.

So what's the deal? I know, I know, "rate every single song" is the obvious answer. And I will work towards that. But in the meantime, how do I get playlists to pick up only songs I actually rated?
cleo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2008, 12:03 PM   #2
swiftaw
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleo View Post
I have a smart playlist that, in addition to excluding some genres, requires a four our five star song rating. Cool.

This morning, while walking the dog, I heard a song I couldn't place. I got home and realized the following:

If an album rating is set, but a rating is not set for a particular song, iTunes gives the same rating as the album to the song, in those little hollow stars.

What I didn't realize is that smart playlists apparently treat the hollow stars/"guessed" rating the same as a rating I've actually set.

So if I buy an album and give it 4 stars, but only rate a couple singles that I already love, the rest of the songs get dumped into my playlist, even though I haven't rated them, specifically.

So what's the deal? I know, I know, "rate every single song" is the obvious answer. And I will work towards that. But in the meantime, how do I get playlists to pick up only songs I actually rated?
One option would be to always give 'unrated' songs a rating of 1 star, until you determine how many stars it should have.

Or, add the word rated to the comment field of all the songs you've rated, then add 'Comment contains rated' to your smart playlist
swiftaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2008, 12:25 PM   #3
slu
macrumors 68000

Or just don't rate albums. Only rate songs. That is what I do. It then "figures out" the rating of the album by the individual ratings of the songs.

Unless you have a smart playlist that uses album ratings, I don't know why you would rate the album anyway.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 05:14 PM   #4
cleo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by slu View Post
Or just don't rate albums. Only rate songs. That is what I do. It then "figures out" the rating of the album by the individual ratings of the songs.

Unless you have a smart playlist that uses album ratings, I don't know why you would rate the album anyway.
Yeah, I do use album ratings... or at least I did until a few minutes ago, because I just realized that my smart playlists using album ratings were being contaminated by the same problem, in reverse.

But now... this should be obvious, but it's not... how do I "unrate" albums I've rated? I can get it down to one star by clicking, but I can't find anything in the contextual menu or Get Info to remove the rating altogether (this is album ratings, mind you).

Where should I be looking?

EDIT: Found it. You've gotta click to the left of the first star. I'm surprised... Apple's software is usually really accessible (I use speech recognition 95% of the time)... strange to find something that can only be done via mouse (unless I'm missing something).

Last edited by cleo; Mar 19, 2008 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Figured it out
cleo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod