Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drewhp89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Austin, TX
Hey, I'm an undergrad architecture student at the University of Texas at Austin and have found that using CS3 with a wacom is much easier than a mouse or trackpad.

we're using photoshop more and more and I am getting more and more tired of using a mouse.

I was wondering what kind of wacom tablet I should get for use in an Architecture project basis. We do a lot of erasing, refining, imposing images in one another and some other rather basic things. I'm sure as I move through our design sequence of 10 semesters it will get harder, but I was looking at getting one sooner rather than later so I don't have to deal with a mouse for much longer.

by the way, I'd be using it with a MBP 17" hi res screen 2.4 gHz, 4 GB standard RAM, and the rest is pretty standard.

thanks for your help.

Grey Beard

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2005
The Antipodes.
A suitable Wacom

Andrew, Assuming that you want the conventional tablet and not a Cintiq, then given your screen aspect of 16:9 then an Intuos3 6x11 would be the best model. I personally use an Intuos 6x8 but that suits my screen real estate.

Hope this puts you in the right direction.
Kevin.

drewhp89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Austin, TX
thanks for your help, so quickly too!

is a Cintiq the one that puts the screen on the tablet?

It would be nice to have it on the tablet just for purposes of looking where I'm drawing instead of where it is on the screen, I'm not sure I could do that...hahaha.

Any suggestions on ones with the screen actually displayed in the tablet? Are there any alternative tablets that you would suggest over Wacom in this area? Especially cost wise...

thanks for y'alls help again.

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
Wacom is the way to go. I use the 6x11 at home, and the Cintiq 21UX at work. I think you are asking about the Cintiq 12WX? I think it's awesome, and am considering upgrading my home tablet. Any of these three will be excellent choices. The Cintiq 12WX retails for $999, btw.

Attachments

• w3.jpg
    w3.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 1,067

jerryrock

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Amsterdam, NY
I use the Wacom Cintiq 20WSX and it does make a world of difference in workflow. This model is the 20" widescreen version and would be perfect for architectural design.

drewhp89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Austin, TX
alright awesome, so the cintiq is probably the way i should go...now i just have to save up the money and ask for the other half for a birthday gift!

thanks for all your help.

also, if I get the cintiq does that replace a monitor and i can like run a mac tower with just the tower, keyboard and wacom?

sounds cool

jerryrock

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Amsterdam, NY
alright awesome, so the cintiq is probably the way i should go...now i just have to save up the money and ask for the other half for a birthday gift!

thanks for all your help.

also, if I get the cintiq does that replace a monitor and i can like run a mac tower with just the tower, keyboard and wacom?

sounds cool

That is exactly my current set up! I have an Apple Cinema Display that I use on occasion as a second monitor for special projects.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
When I majored in Architecture I used a 9x12 wacom for CAD. The larger the tablet the better really.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
For a little % more you might want to get also an X-Keys keyboard.

http://www.piengineering.com/xkeys.php

This way you could dump the keyboard, and use Cintix and a dedicated macro keyboard.

Ergonomy wise, the three major leaps, IMHO are:

1 - Getting used to a tablet
2 - Switching to Mac
3 - Getting a dedicated keyboard/input device.

pinktank

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
for cad, larger tablets help and you really dont need tilt and what not so you might be better off with an older but larger

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.