Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dexter11

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Hi guys this is my first post on here - I am looking for a fast avi to H.264 or MP4 converter so I can get my films to my iPhone.

I am currently using "Acala AVI DivX MPEG XviD VOB to PSP - Convert AVI DivX MPEG Xvid VOB to PSP" on my Vista machine (which I hate and am getting rid of hence this question)...This will convert a film in 15 mins and a TV show in 8-9 mins.....with decent quality I think 29frames p/s

I am yet to find anything that quick for my macbook, Intel duel core, 2gb Ram
running leopard

I would be most grateful if you could suggest anything that will give me the speed and quality I am currently getting with Acala...

Many thanks

Dex

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
Your Looking For VisualHub Currently using It Now To encode My Entourage DVD Box Sets Took Me 45 mins To Do The First Season 10 Episodes For iTunes. Should Be Less Time If It For iPod, iPhone. BTW I Have Nearly The Same Specs Just 1GB Ram Instead Of 2GB

rorton

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2007
thats fast,

what setting are you using on Visual Hub?

Im converting some divx for the ipod touch, using h.265, and in Visual hub, i have it setup 'optimize for ipod touch' and also h.264 encoding ticked, and it take 35 mins for a single 1 hour episode to convert!

How do you manage 10 episodes from a DVD in 45 minutes?

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
I Don't Know To Be Honest It Might Just Of Been Luck As It Was My First Encode Haven't Done It Since. I Also Left The MacBook Alone Came Back And It Was Done.

Settings: ATV 5.1 Go Nuts

Northy

Edit: Only beginners Luck Dam Took 20 Mins For A Half Hour Show Oh Well

cleo

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
I don't think anything converts to H.264 very fast. Elgato makes a hardware accelerator for the Mac which does hardware conversions and that makes a big difference for some h.264 conversions. It just plugs in your USB port:

http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/Accessories/Turbo264/product1.en.html

I would use iSquint to do the actual conversions:

http://www.isquint.org/

I use the Turbo.264 by Elgato, and it's incredible. I also use EyeTV to make my MacBook Pro into an extra DVR. A typical one-hour show (with commercials, so a full hour) usually takes about 35-40 minutes to convert. I love it, because I can set shows to record at night, and when I get up in the morning, they're already on my iPod. :) That said, the Turbo is a hardware accelerator, so it can be used with any software. Also nice for times when I need to be using my Mac while converting video, as it takes much of the heavy lifting off the CPU's hands.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.