Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joefinan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Kingston-Upon-Thames, UK
suddenly, when typing an email in gmail, pressing shift causes the cursor to vanish and so typing becomes almost impossible.

This happened the moment I got the safari update. Anyone else got this?

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
I'm sure a reply to this has already been posted - but here goes anyway.

The issue has been present in WebKit's nightly builds for a while.

Google say:

A number of you have reported that after upgrading your browser to
Safari 3.1, your cursor jumps between text fields when you use control
keys like Shift and Apple. Here are a few workarounds you can use:
1) Switch to plain text formatting. The problem only occurs in rich
formatting mode.
2) Use a different browser, such as Firefox.
3) Switch to the newer version of Gmail.
Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention, and for helping us
narrow down the issue!

If you're using Hosted Apps, and there's no new version fix yet. Keep an eye on the RSS here for updates there.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
"3) Switch to the newer version of Gmail."

How do I do that? I just log in and there it is - I don't select any version.

There you go.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 585

joefinan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Kingston-Upon-Thames, UK
Sign in not remembered

And here's another issue - I have two Gmail accounts. On my old PowerBook (running 10.5 and Safari 3) all I had to do was type my username and it would fill in the relevant password.

Now, on my new MBP with 3.1, each time I sign out and sign in with the other username, Safari asks if I'd like it to remember the password. I always say yes and it always asks me.

Infuriating.

jeejeebu

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
How does one change to plain text? I have no desire to change to the newer version of Gmail as it doesn't show me if I have new messages. I'm almost ready to switch back to Mail, which I would rather not do.

jeejeebu

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
And here's another issue - I have two Gmail accounts. On my old PowerBook (running 10.5 and Safari 3) all I had to do was type my username and it would fill in the relevant password.

Now, on my new MBP with 3.1, each time I sign out and sign in with the other username, Safari asks if I'd like it to remember the password. I always say yes and it always asks me.

Infuriating.

I don't know how to fix that, but why don't you just merge your accounts? I check mail from 3 accounts using one log in. It also allows you to set it up so that you send from whatever account the mail was received from. To do so, go to Settings (in the top right) > Accounts. Just add new accounts to check and send from.

joefinan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Kingston-Upon-Thames, UK
I don't know how to fix that, but why don't you just merge your accounts? I check mail from 3 accounts using one log in. It also allows you to set it up so that you send from whatever account the mail was received from. To do so, go to Settings (in the top right) > Accounts. Just add new accounts to check and send from.

The reason I have two accounts is because of junk. One is my personal email address that gets almost no junk at all and the other is for commercial forms, joining things like this website etc. which gets hundreds of the bloody stuff.

bagbalmbert

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2008
Shift = gmail problem

Yes, this happened to me too...immediately after the software update! Standard view is definitely a step down, grr.
:eek:

Firefox works though.

joefinan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Kingston-Upon-Thames, UK
Why do so many webistes not work with Safari??

Gmail doesn't work properly.
Tesco.com storefinder simply won't work.
eBay will not allow rich text inputting.

To name just three. But all these work fine on Firefox.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.