Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mystahwoaini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Hi, As we all know the iPhone screen has been switched from plastic to ultra thin touch sensitive glass. Because of it's thinness, its break-ability has increased 200% for those relatively clumsy and accident prone. I advise you now, order a heavy duty silicone case now, if you're prone to dropping things.

Now, to the topic.

My iPhone has recently been dropped and the bottom part of the screen has been rendered shattery.

Making it look like this.

iPhonebefore.jpg

Ah, but don't fret my dear friends, if you have the same problem, here's what might help.

Of course I'm sure this probably has been done before.

link here: http://www.slashphone.com/media/data/796/iPhonebefore.jpg

But plastic is so scratchable! And my hardware store doesnt have plastic that thin.

So here's the alternative, also you may need that link to reference some things.

What you need:

Go on ebay and look for : iPhone Outer Screen

here's an example , sure beats the whole LCD panel for a whopping $180 USD

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Original-Ou...ryZ39401QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

- Now, its ONLY the glass, if your touchscreen doesn't work, you need the whole panel.

- Case remover tool, Mini Phillip screwdiver, plastic knife/spudge

- Glue remover, (Goo Gone)

- Glass Adhesive, preferably quick dry.

Now. To the directions.

WARNING OPENING THE IPHONE VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY:

Okay.

We need knowledge on how to take apart the iPhone. But not the whole thing!

Just the back cover, the antenna cover and the Metal frame!

Easy enough?

heres a link for detailed instructions and photos, also a video.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone/Display-Assembly/105/10/

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X1z0pw2VK7M&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X1z0pw2VK7M&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Remember, All we need to do is remove the cable latch of the Headphone wire, from the back ,metal cover. and the Metal chrome frame surrounding the screen.

1) Remove all 10 screws around the screen. don't lose em!

2) Remove the Frame.

3) Now that the glass is exposed, use a blunt knife, plastic or wooden reccomended. Or a plastic spudger, Carefully SCRAPE ! yes SCRAPE off the cracked parts.

4) Now, the glass is GLUED ON TO THE LCD SCREEN, Be very careful, you do not want to puncture the LCD. This is where the GOO GONE comes in. Spray a bit on the exposed surfaces under the crack, DON'T GET THE INSIDE OF THE PHONE WET, this included the cables, and the logic board, and the battery!

5) Repeat. (avoid touching the home button)

6) Eventually you'll be able to pull off the rest of the glass.

7) When Done. Carefully add some glue on to the edges of the LCD, making a rectangular kind of shape. Make sure you spread it evenly, cause there is no way back when you place it on.

8) Put a dot of glue on the Glass you bought.

9) Smear it on the black corners.

10) CAREFULLY MEASURE out WHERE IT goes! THE POSITION is VERY IMPORTANT. ( Note the HOME button is the key)

11) Glue it on and place it on , let it dry for a while , ( place it near the sun, but not directly, like near the window) for around 5-10 minutes

12) Okay , Now its time to reattach the frame, and screw it back on.

13) Reattach the ribbon cable on the headphones on the back cover.

14) Pop the frame back on, pop the black antenna cover back in and you're SET!!

Thanks for reading hope this helps. :D
(

Mystahwoaini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Well , this is an actual tutorial.

So, anyway. The process is simpler than it sounds. And i was just telling people, that there is no need to remove EVERYTHING. including the logic board, and the battery, unless you want to , and are really careful, and intricate in your electronic/techinical fixes. because I'm not, and I hope this saves a lot of extra steps.

Ol!ver

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
I thought the iPhone was always class? I thought that was one of the selling points, 'optical grade glass'.

latvianapple

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2008
help

what kind of glue i need? And i must cover all surface of glass our only black sectors and perimeter of lcd screen ? I want to do at home because in service it cost in Latvia about 100 euros...

Main Target

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2008
I am curious, i cracked my phones screen today, the touch part still works, but where exactly is that touch part located? under the glass on the screen?

steve1215

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2009
Hi!

Do you think it's important to use Goo Gone SPRAY rather than the liquid form? It seems impossible to find (the spray) outside of the US.

Thanks,

Steve

johnabraham0123

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2009
Just had this happen to me for the second time. They’re great phones, but this time it cracked when I dropped it in the grass. The first time this happened, I paid $200 at the Apple Store for a new phone.

However, this time, I found a somewhat more affordable solution. If you are in the Dallas area, I would recommend Cracked Phone Screen. They will replace the cracked face for $89.99 while you wait. It took the technician a few minutes and the phone is as good as new. You can even mail them your phone and they will fix it and mail it back. Their number is (214) 550-0707 and their web site is http://www.crackedphonescreen.com

BigStunna1989

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Iphone 2g repair

How can i trust any online Repair faculty? How do you know they will repair it and not rip you off? Also whats a reputable Online iphone repair center? I saw this website offed iphone glass repair for 2g. Has anyone tried this company i found them by just googling iphone repair. Please I love my 2g iphone and cause it metal and doable until this happened. It works prefect for me cause i have it unlock for use on att prepaid :D.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.