Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boarder981

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
I have OS X Server 10.4.11 running on a quad-G5. There are four share points, each configured with ACL permissions. The volumes are being shared over AFP and SMB.

Anyway, I'm getting some strange behavior when connecting to these share points from my Macbook running Leopard (10.5.1). I can connect and reconnect to the volumes without a problem, UNTIL I actually download a file from one of the volumes. If I eject the volume, the next time I try to connect (whether via AFP or SMB) it accepts my credentials and mounts the drive to /Volumes, but the Finder doesn't recognize it. I can eject the drive in Terminal using umount, but the next time I connect it does the same thing. I am able to access the volume and copy files using Terminal, but if I type the path in 'Go to Folder' it says "The folder cannot be found".

This seems to be fixed only by a system reboot (yet happens again if I follow the same steps). At this point I'm not sure if it's a problem with the server or the Leopard client. It's difficult to troubleshoot at the moment because this isn't a production server and therefore not many people use it. As a reference point, this does NOT happen when I connect to other servers.

Has anyone seen this issue before, or have any advice?

<<EDIT>> I just noticed that if I relaunch the Finder it recognizes the mounted volume. However, I'm still perplexed as to why this happens with one particular server and not others. Any ideas/tips? Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.