Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch > iPod touch Hacks

Old Mar 21, 2008, 10:01 AM   #1
nylock10
macrumors regular

Changing iPod AFP Icon

Hey,

I put AFPd on my iPod touch to manage files with Finder, but how can I change the icon from a cinema display to an iPod touch?

Here's a screenshot:
nylock10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 11:40 AM   #2
bstreiff
macrumors regular

It won't be as easy as you might think.

The information about what model each machine on the network is is gathered through Bonjour. Normally, Macs send out a special _device-info._tcp "service" with additional data of, for instance, "model=MacBook3,1". On Linux using avahi, I've been able to set icons with a service entry like this:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" standalone='no'?><!--*-nxml-*-->
<!DOCTYPE service-group SYSTEM "avahi-service.dtd">
<service-group>
  <name>thehostname</name>
  <service> 
    <type>_device-info._tcp</type>
    <port>0</port>
    <txt-record>model=iMac7,1</txt-record>
  </service>
</service-group>
as well as service entries for AFP, SMB, or VNC (doesn't matter, but you need to share one of them for your machine to show up in Finder.)

The second piece of the puzzle is the icons: The icons themselves are in /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources, and the mapping from model identifiers to icons is in /Contents/Info.plist in the same bundle. (Look at UTExportedTypeDeclarations, down toward the later entries. For instance, on my machine, the 17" MBP is #225.)

I think you could export a similar type declaration from any bundle, as long as you were able to get Finder to open it. I'm not sure exactly how this mechanism works; perhaps someone else can chime in with details.

The real question, I suppose, is whether the iPod touch broadcasts a _device-info entry. If not, I'm not sure how you'd make it do so.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 12:48 PM   #3
YuriVoorhak
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreiff View Post

The information about what model each machine on the network is is gathered through Bonjour. Normally, Macs send out a special _device-info._tcp "service" with additional data of, for instance, "model=MacBook3,1". On Linux using avahi, I've been able to set icons with a service entry like this:
Code:
<service-group>
  <name>thehostname</name>
  <service> 
    <port>0</port>
  </service>
</service-group>
as well as service entries for AFP, SMB, or VNC (doesn't matter, but you need to share one of them for your machine to show up in Finder.)

The second piece of the puzzle is the icons: The icons themselves are in /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources, and the mapping from model identifiers to icons is in /Contents/Info.plist in the same bundle. (Look at UTExportedTypeDeclarations, down toward the later entries. For instance, on my machine, the 17" MBP is #225.)

I think you could export a similar type declaration from any bundle, as long as you were able to get Finder to open it. I'm not sure exactly how this mechanism works; perhaps someone else can chime in with details.

The real question, I suppose, is whether the iPod touch broadcasts a _device-info entry. If not, I'm not sure how you'd make it do so.
Or you could be totally lazy and just swap the local ACD icon for an iPT one.
YuriVoorhak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 01:34 PM   #4
nylock10
macrumors regular

Changing the defulat Mac icon in Core Servers worked great, thanks.

Thumb resize.Thumb resize.

I even grabbed a picture of my iPod's home screen and added it to the iPod icon

Last edited by nylock10; Mar 21, 2008 at 01:56 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 02:38 PM   #5
doteyes9
macrumors member

Since when do iPod's have SMS?
doteyes9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 02:42 PM   #6
bstreiff
macrumors regular

Heh, or you could do that. Of course, now any unidentified Mac will show up as an iPod touch on your machine, but if you're okay with that...

Also, you might need to re-apply your change for successive patches that change the CoreTypes.bundle (mostly point-releases, I imagine).
Old Mar 21, 2008, 09:10 PM   #7
nylock10
macrumors regular

I'm hoping I won't have an unidentified computer on my network anytime soon lol

The SMS application is just MobileChat, I have an AIM account I use to send text messages to friends' cell phones (using the +1[Area Code][Number] method).
Old Mar 22, 2008, 12:13 AM   #8
bstreiff
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylock10 View Post
I'm hoping I won't have an unidentified computer on my network anytime soon lol
Well, pre-10.5 machines show up as the generic ACD; the model-broadcast wasn't added until Leopard.
Old May 12, 2008, 11:04 AM   #9
Sunnzy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreiff View Post

Code:
<service-group>
  <name>thehostname</name>
  <service> 
    <port>0</port>
  </service>
</service-group>
Is it possible to change the model sent to bonjour on a Mac? I tried to find the conf file but it seems like Mac OS X uses some different thing.
Sunnzy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 12:02 PM   #10
bstreiff
macrumors regular

I've only been able to make Linux machines look like Macs; I don't know enough about how to publish services with Bonjour on OS X, unfortunately.

Considering that the device-info broadcast is automatically done with the model-identifier of your machine (like, say, MacBook3,1), I'm not sure if there'd be a way to override the automatic setting.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 03:13 PM   #11
Czo
macrumors newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Czo Send a message via AIM to Czo Send a message via MSN to Czo Send a message via Yahoo to Czo Send a message via Skype™ to Czo
I have made a small package, which adds the corresponding iPhone, iPhone 3G, and iPod Touch 1st gen icons to the system. It adds only these icons, whithout the need of changing the default Mac icon from the Cinema Display.

Tested with Mac OS X 10.5.6 on intel based iMac and PowerMac G4.

http://czo.hu/index.php?page=stuff&spage=iphoneicons

http://homokozo.czo.hu/iphoneicons/iphoneicons.png
Czo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch > iPod touch Hacks