Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Mar 21, 2008, 03:03 PM   #1
Cyroceon
macrumors 6502

Flash Drive Encryption Mac and Windows..

Hey, I need to encrypt my flash drive and go back and forth between OS X and Windows. What is the best method to do this? The simpler the better, but I would like to maintain a decent level of security.
iPhone 5 16GB Black & Slate
Cyroceon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 10:51 PM   #2
richard.mac
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to richard.mac
i too wanted to encrypt my flash drive to work between my Mac and the PCs at uni. but i needed to do it without installing any windows software as i dont have administrator access on the computers at Uni. i couldnt fine a way to do it on a Mac either. encrypted disk images made in Disk Utitility arent recognised in windows with out installing software say... MacDrive.

you could make a password protected zip in WinRAR on windows but that means you would have to unzip then rezip with a password again which requires installing WinRAR which i cant on the uni PCs. so i dont think there is a way to do it sorry! at least how i wanted to do it.
richard.mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2008, 06:29 AM   #3
brand
macrumors 68040

You can use TrueCrypt to make an encrypted image as large as you want, depending on the size of the storage device. TrueCrypt is multi-platform and the program itself can be copied to the storage medium to make it portable.
brand is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2008, 09:59 AM   #4
AbsoluteSolutio
macrumors newbie

Hardware encryption question

Does anyone know of any Hardware Encrypted Flash drives that WILL work on Mac OS X as well as other OS platforms?
AbsoluteSolutio is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help