Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cyroceon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
Hey, I need to encrypt my flash drive and go back and forth between OS X and Windows. What is the best method to do this? The simpler the better, but I would like to maintain a decent level of security.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
i too wanted to encrypt my flash drive to work between my Mac and the PCs at uni. but i needed to do it without installing any windows software as i dont have administrator access on the computers at Uni. i couldnt fine a way to do it on a Mac either. encrypted disk images made in Disk Utitility arent recognised in windows with out installing software say... MacDrive.

you could make a password protected zip in WinRAR on windows but that means you would have to unzip then rezip with a password again which requires installing WinRAR which i cant on the uni PCs. so i dont think there is a way to do it sorry!… at least how i wanted to do it.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
You can use TrueCrypt to make an encrypted image as large as you want, depending on the size of the storage device. TrueCrypt is multi-platform and the program itself can be copied to the storage medium to make it portable.

AbsoluteSolutio

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
Hardware encryption question

Does anyone know of any Hardware Encrypted Flash drives that WILL work on Mac OS X as well as other OS platforms?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.