Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Volante

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
I have a bunch of reference movies, will they play on another mac throught the network? (If I have the codecs on that mac as well)

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
I have a bunch of reference movies, will they play on another mac throught the network? (If I have the codecs on that mac as well)
No, because the files referenced by the reference movie are done so in a local machine-centric manner. Unless those files are in the same path location on another machine, it will not play.

Unless you managed to mount that volume in such a way that it looked like they were... but I've never toyed around with that. Hmm, I wonder if you could pull it off somehow. :confused:

Volante

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
What if the reference movie is on a networkdrive together with the movie?

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
What if the reference movie is on a networkdrive together with the movie?

I think it still points to the files in a local manner, so your local copy of Quicktime will be looking for them on a local drive. I'm really not sure though (and don't have the ability to readily test it at the moment), so I suppose the only way to really know is to try it.

Volante

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
I think it still points to the files in a local manner, so your local copy of Quicktime will be looking for them on a local drive. I'm really not sure though (and don't have the ability to readily test it at the moment), so I suppose the only way to really know is to try it.

Me neither, that's why I ask. It would be nice to have the metadata itunes and it's format offers together with any movieformat/reencoding. Especially with a new mac mini around the corner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.