Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Mar 21, 2008, 06:02 PM   #1
klymr
macrumors 65816

Can you recommend a good desk?

I am looking for a new desk because the one that I'm currently using is really getting on my nerves. It's an old computer desk that I repainted. It has the typical shelf off the the right of where the chair sits, and because of that I feel like the whole right side is wasted since I can't really reach that area. Right now I just leave my Wacom sitting over there, taking up even more space.

I really like the MILK DESK, but I'm sure it's just a little more than outta my price range. Plus I don't think they are shipping them to the US yet. Ikea has a work table that I really like really like, but they haven't had it in stock since before Christmas. It's a little crazy. So, that said, are there any suggestions as to where to look for a decent desk/workstation table? I don't want to spend too much on it, but want something that will function well. What are all of y'all using?
klymr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 06:07 PM   #2
Montie Da Champ
macrumors member

get something from http://www.biomorphdesk.com/
Old Mar 21, 2008, 06:15 PM   #3
klymr
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montie Da Champ View Post
get something from http://www.biomorphdesk.com/
Maybe in 5 years when I am done with school and have finished paying off my student loans. The smallest desk from them is about $1,000.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 07:44 AM   #4
Cheffy Dave
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by klymr View Post
I am looking for a new desk because the one that I'm currently using is really getting on my nerves. It's an old computer desk that I repainted. It has the typical shelf off the the right of where the chair sits, and because of that I feel like the whole right side is wasted since I can't really reach that area. Right now I just leave my Wacom sitting over there, taking up even more space.

I really like the MILK DESK, but I'm sure it's just a little more than outta my price range. Plus I don't think they are shipping them to the US yet. Ikea has a work table that I really like really like, but they haven't had it in stock since before Christmas. It's a little crazy. So, that said, are there any suggestions as to where to look for a decent desk/workstation table? I don't want to spend too much on it, but want something that will function well. What are all of y'all using?
Love my ANTHROCART http://www.anthro.com/
Old Mar 22, 2008, 08:06 AM   #5
Techguy172
macrumors 68000

I use this Desk, http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/ca...2DX+Collection
Old Mar 22, 2008, 10:10 AM   #6
hsotnicam8002
macrumors 6502

Live next door?

Why do so many people think that they are communicating with the person who lives next door (though they could shout out the window then anyway)? A link to Staples in Canada that is dead to anyone in the rest of the world is actually a worthless post as most people don't live in Canada!
hsotnicam8002 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2008, 10:26 AM   #7
srl7741
macrumors Demi-God

I'm using this one, it's not very expensive and works well for a corner setup. I added the standard desks to each side extending everything out further making one large desk that covers both walls around the corner.

The screen shot does not really do the desk justice. It can be found on the Staples web site. Bush Cubix Collection. They come is various colors.
I did not purchase the keyboard slot, There is enough room on the desk surface for duel monitors and a keyboard without any problem.

Last edited by srl7741; Mar 10, 2009 at 07:31 PM.
srl7741 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2008, 11:21 AM   #8
jerryrock
macrumors 6502

I use a six foot long dining room table as my desk and workspace. This has been the best (and least expensive) solution that I have found to accommodate all of my equipment, still leaving space for laying out and comparing printed work.
jerryrock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2008, 11:24 AM   #9
klymr
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryrock View Post
I use a six foot long dining room table as my desk and workspace. This has been the best (and least expensive) solution that I have found to accommodate all of my equipment, still leaving space for laying out and comparing printed work.
Very good! I may have to go down to the thrift store and see what they got down there.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 11:49 AM   #10
Techguy172
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsotnicam8002 View Post
Why do so many people think that they are communicating with the person who lives next door (though they could shout out the window then anyway)? A link to Staples in Canada that is dead to anyone in the rest of the world is actually a worthless post as most people don't live in Canada!
Staples is in the US too and so is that desk.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 11:55 AM   #11
klymr
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techguy172 View Post
Staples is in the US too and so is that desk.
When we click the link it asks for a Canadian postal code. It gives no other information besides that, hence the reason for the comment above.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 11:59 AM   #12
Techguy172
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by klymr View Post
When we click the link it asks for a Canadian postal code. It gives no other information besides that, hence the reason for the comment above.
Well Maybe he could have just told me that instead of his stupid speech
Here the AMERICAN ONE: http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/st...:CG33:CL161511
Old Mar 22, 2008, 12:04 PM   #13
SASouth
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
I'm using this one, it's not very expensive and works well for a corner setup. I added the standard desks to each side extending everything out further making one large desk that covers both walls around the corner.

The screen shot does not really do the desk justice. It can be found on the Staples web site. Bush Cubix Collection. They come is various colors.
I did not purchase the keyboard slot, There is enough room on the desk surface for duel monitors and a keyboard without any problem.
I have this desk too and highly recommend it. The corner desk is just one part of a whole collection that includes several size of matching tables, hutches, file cabinets, etc. This is commercial grade stuff, and the nice thing is that it's relatively inexpensive.

I got mine at OfficeMax. The call it the Bush OfficePro Collection.
SASouth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 12:36 AM   #14
GreatDrok
macrumors 6502

Just get a normal office style flat desk. All these computer desks are flimsy and crap. You don't need all that space to store CDROMs and the stupid little shelf for a keyboard is ghastly. A big flat desk gives you room to arrange you kit however you want and you move the keyboard to wherever is comfortable for you rather than where the designed thought it should be.

This is how my office looks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Desk.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	109040  
Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:19 AM   #15
hsotnicam8002
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatDrok View Post
Just get a normal office style flat desk. All these computer desks are flimsy and crap. You don't need all that space to store CDROMs and the stupid little shelf for a keyboard is ghastly. A big flat desk gives you room to arrange you kit however you want and you move the keyboard to wherever is comfortable for you rather than where the designed thought it should be.

This is how my office looks.
I absolutely agree. Inevitably, one will want to use the desk for paperwork and room to put down at least two or three A4 sized pads or books, a pen tray and your telephone, is essential. The keyboard shelves are usually too low and can result in excessive head nodding, even for touch typists. I suppose one could store the keyboard on the shelf when more desk space is needed, but I would not treat a shelf as a priority. Good desktop space, the correct height desk for your own height and room to get your legs under the desk (without obstacles, especially sharp corners) together with a supportive, adjustable chair (maybe swivel) are the most important features.
hsotnicam8002 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 11:38 AM   #16
mperkins37
macrumors 6502a

Actually, The Bush Cubix, stuff is solid wood & metal, Very sturdy from what I understand. I am looking at the setup also.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 05:56 PM   #17
Montie Da Champ
macrumors member

Also, Ikea has a desk called the "Fredrick" that might interest you. I use this desk and I love it.

this is what my setup looks like with this desk...

Old Mar 23, 2008, 05:59 PM   #18
toughboy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to toughboy Send a message via MSN to toughboy
IKEA has an awesome serie called Galant. You can modify it anyway you like, make different shapes and sizes according to your needs..
toughboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 06:59 PM   #19
GSMiller
macrumors 68000

I picked mine up at Big Lots Furniture...$89 and the only one they had was the one on display so I didn't have to assemble anything
Old Mar 23, 2008, 07:46 PM   #20
nater.
macrumors member

I love ikea's stuff. I have a Jonas desk. It has this little slide out table. Comes pretty handy. Large enough to fit all I need - my Mac Pro, iBook on an Elevator, and some extra room.

I'd recommend anything from Ikea if you have a store close go check the stuff out. Easy to put together and pretty cheap.
nater. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 07:57 PM   #21
digitalnicotine
macrumors Demi-Goddess

OP: After you hit your thrift shop, you may also consider looking into conference tables. I ended up getting a 96" conference table that spans a good portion of my wall. It was $236 shipped, and is very sturdy, right height, and easily accomodates my dual monitors, laptops, wacom tablet, speakers, etc. Just another inexpensive option. If you're interested, I'll go dig up the link.
digitalnicotine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 09:21 PM   #22
mduser63
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to mduser63
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughboy View Post
IKEA has an awesome serie called Galant. You can modify it anyway you like, make different shapes and sizes according to your needs..
This is my vote. I have one and love it. Looks pretty good, is sturdy and the height is adjustable (with the legs I've got) And it wasn't very expensive either.
mduser63 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2008, 01:13 AM   #23
klymr
macrumors 65816

This is the setup I want, but I've been waiting and watching for 4 months, and it hasn't been in stock at all during that time. Maybe I'll call and see for sure if it's out of stock. Maybe the website is just lying to me.

Vika Gruvan/Vika Artur from Ikea

Old Mar 24, 2008, 07:58 AM   #24
Techguy172
macrumors 68000

I don't know it's not in Canada either maybe they don't sell it anymore and still have to update there site.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 09:03 AM   #25
klymr
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techguy172 View Post
I don't know it's not in Canada either maybe they don't sell it anymore and still have to update there site.
They have the table top, but not the trestle legs. I think I may be giving them a call soon.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics