Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

acejaceuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2003
i got an ipod about ayear ago 20g
what a mistake al it does is freeze all the time
i have tried to reset and update software but to no avail
im really hacked off with the quality of the ipod
is this freezing a common problem
in a yr of ownership it aint played more than 15 tracks nefore freezing
im thinking of buying a new mp3 but sure wont be an ipod if this is what therea ll like
please help guys and let me know if its common fault or not and if it just a simple thing how do i resolve it
i dont run with it or use it in hot/cold extrmes
thnks for your time guys
shame it got such great potential let down by this small gremlin

MacBoyX

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2003
East Coast, USA
Re: ipod very poor overall

Originally posted by acejaceuk
...im really hacked off with the quality of the ipod
is this freezing a common problem
in a yr of ownership it aint played more than 15 tracks nefore freezing...

Why didn't you try to get it replaced/repaired by your warranty?

If I had an iPod that didn't work for more than 15 tracks I'd have had it back within the first week, or month, and defintely within the first year.

macboyX

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Jesus, I don't think I've EVER seen so many typos in one post! :eek:

Anyway...back on topic, maybe you just god a dud, these things happen, take it back to where you got it (Apple Store?) and get it checked out.

ezkimo

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2002
My iPod has never frozen in any way. Played for many many hours on end without a hiccup. I think you have some problems (with english and your iPod):rolleyes:

ewinemiller

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2001
west of Philly
If you have any warrenty left send it in. My 30gig was flakey like that when I first got it. It finally locked up completely. I sent it in and it was back within a week. The new one is fine.

acejaceuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2003
cheers guys
forgive the typo's im on a laptop in poor lighting and rushing opp's
glad to hear it's not a common fault or that if it is it can be resolved
i have tried a restore on more than one occasion
i'll check warranty and see if they can resolve the issue
if that dont solve it ill try another mp3 player
thank you for your input

RancidSwill

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2003
ipod is poor, yet iPod is very cool!

Watch carefully: aaaaAAAAAaaaa, see how that works? Its called a "shift" key, its on your keyboard. Now, ...... those are called periods and are commonly used as punctuation in western writing. While using the keyboard in this fashion is apparantly rather challenging for someone like yourself, the iPod generally will require only a slightly higher skill set. Why, it does not even require opposable thumbs! Aren't you pleased? :)

But seriously, I bought a 10GB for my girlfriend, she was absolutely giddy with excitement. It too froze, we returned it and we had a brand new replacment within about 10 days. Perhaps you should do likewise. Do remember, to get an adult to help you with mailing the package.

acejaceuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2003
hi ta for your advice
and i may not have any grammatic skill's but this is due to wasted teenage years
also lots of time spent developing the less pencil neck type hobbies
if youd like me to demo this ill happily apply a rearchoke hold
grammar skill's are an improtant life skill but so are manners & respect which you seem to lack

driftir77

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2003
Detroit
I definetely had this problem with the iPod i bought for my best friend. However, it was a 3g 10gb iPod. anyways, it would actually freeze completely after the song started. but i sent it back to apple, and they didn't replace it, but instead sent a message that they updated the firmware and that nothing was wrong with it.

turned out, since then it works perfectly. nothing wrong at all.

go here:

https://depot.info.apple.com/ipod/index.html

you might get charged for shipping if it's been over 6 months. but it is worth it. or you might want to just drop by the apple store and ask them to update your firmware instead.

acejaceuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2003
thanks ill try the firmware then consider my opitions thanks for your input

jsd

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2003
Orange, CA
hmm

My 3G iPod froze once since I bought it. No problem there.

Can't you update the firmware yourself?

driftir77

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2003
Detroit
i tried to update the firmware myself. it might have just been her windows machine, but it never changed the way the iPod was working.

trust me. i update the firmware on my 2g ipod all of the time.

anyways. i have the 2g 20gb that isn't working for you and i love it. have faith in it. once it is fixed, you'll understand why the iPod is the best mp3 player...ever.

acejaceuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2003
thank you very much
gives a litle hope to be frank it had been one prob after another and my faith had wained somewhat
also being away for like three months at a time with work no apple stores
it was difficult to get it sorted but ill post and give a truer picture once i have this problem ressolved
your input i has mostly been great and if it is just a bad ipod or some other problem then i may have my faith restored
thanks

jobes

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2003
my iPod got replaced quickly by apple uk

hey

as long as your ipod is under warranty (12 months from when you bought it) you should be fine. you can either note the problem online (you will have to register you iPod if you didnt do so on the apple.com site when you bought it) or phone apple (you can find the uk & ireland number online if your screenname indicates where you live).

either way you'll be asked to describe the problems. you should obviously stress how annoying/inconvenient/long running the problem has been, but i've found when you call apple it pays to be ultra-polite, patient, and assertive. note all the details of the call down for future reference as you may need it if they try to fob you off with.

i had problems with my battery life on the 10gb ipod i bought in january in the uk. it took several calls to persuade them it was a serious issue with me, but they then collected it via courier, and 7 days later i had a brand-new (same generation but sealed and new) 10gb ipod again. the warranty is extended by another 90 days after receiving the unit

good luck - i found it difficult to be without my ipod for just a week, so i understand how frustrated you must be if it's never worked for you properly. when it's working properly, i've found the ipod is super. :D

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
Originally posted by acejaceuk

grammar skill's are an improtant life skill but so are manners & respect which you seem to lack

though rancidswill may have sounded a bit rude to you its damn difficult reading text without uppercase letters or punctuation isnt it and it looks ever so lazy :rolleyes:

I personally feel that it's a lack of respect to other posters to not include a *minimum* of correct synthax. I'm not talking anal-retentive synthax, just the odd period, coma and upper case letter when you start a new sentence. A few typos are ok...

Sorry to hear 'bout the iPod. As others have advised, send it back to Apple if it's still under guarantee.

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
Not trying to be rude, but I thought you were writing in some crazy haiku or something.

As to your iPod. I had freezing problems with my old iPod (1st generation 10Gig). I took it to the Apple Store and they drained the battery to zero and redid all the firmware. Worked much, much better for the few months that I kept it before moving on to a 3Gen model)

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Re: ipod is poor, yet iPod is very cool!

Originally posted by RancidSwill
Watch carefully: aaaaAAAAAaaaa, see how that works? Its called a "shift" key, its on your keyboard. Now, ...... those are called periods and are commonly used as punctuation in western writing

grow up

MyPB&Me

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2003
I don't really understand your rational. Basically it never worked right yet it never dawned on you to return it. They make hubdreds of thousands of ipods, of course a few will be duds, but don't blame the ipod when you didn't even try to get it fixed. I have my 3g 10gig and I don't think has ever frozen and if it did apple would ge ta call from me in a minute.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Re: Re: ipod is poor, yet iPod is very cool!

Originally posted by Les Kern
grow up
Give him a break and grow up. We need to maintain a level of English on Macrumors. ig i tipe lke this its pritty hard to undrstadn and help him with his problem. If he explains well, I'm sure we could help him find a solution faster.

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
Originally posted by ezkimo
My iPod has never frozen in any way.

mine too.. it works like a dream.. the only thing is the battery life.. I only can use it for 6 hours or so.. my iPod 2G 10gig was going more then 8hrs..

but I'm waiting for the voice recorder, it will even be a lovelier gadget... :)

davidc2182

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2001
Sin City
hey whocares

Hey whocares, its syntax not "synthax", so try to keep up with American English before criticizing others on the board OK? And give this poor guy a break so he may not have grammatical skills, I have them and would give it up to have an iPod working or not. And anyway the human mind reads words as groups not as individuals so as long as its mostly spelled OK you'll get the basics. IMHO

Originally posted by whocares
though rancidswill may have sounded a bit rude to you its damn difficult reading text without uppercase letters or punctuation isnt it and it looks ever so lazy :rolleyes:

I personally feel that it's a lack of respect to other posters to not include a *minimum* of correct synthax. I'm not talking anal-retentive synthax, just the odd period, coma and upper case letter when you start a new sentence. A few typos are ok...

Sorry to hear 'bout the iPod. As others have advised, send it back to Apple if it's still under guarantee.

sheesh some people :eek:

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
hello... i love my iPod to death, but im having problems with the battery myself... i have a ipod car charger, and leave it plugged in pretty much 24/7, when i goto take it into class at school to listen to, the battery dies rather rapidly, withing 45 minutes usually. Im not juggling songs, or anything like that, i usually just put howie day on, and let it play, i may skip the odd song, but thats it.
i'm wondering, do u think the battery would die quick due the cold, its getting a little chilly where i live right now... goes down to about 5... which isnt too cold at all, and its in my car... does the cold affect the battery life that much? would warming it up before turning it on help at all? or does the cold just ruin the battery?

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Re: ipod is poor, yet iPod is very cool!

Originally posted by RancidSwill
Watch carefully: aaaaAAAAAaaaa, see how that works? Its called a "shift" key, its on your keyboard. Now, ...... those are called periods and are commonly used as punctuation in western writing. While using the keyboard in this fashion is apparantly rather challenging for someone like yourself, the iPod generally will require only a slightly higher skill set. Why, it does not even require opposable thumbs! Aren't you pleased? :)

But seriously, I bought a 10GB for my girlfriend, she was absolutely giddy with excitement. It too froze, we returned it and we had a brand new replacment within about 10 days. Perhaps you should do likewise. Do remember, to get an adult to help you with mailing the package.

To add:

20021011l.gif

Courtasy of Penny-Arcade. The best online periodical comic strip...ever.

But, to stay on topic, the only thing you really can do it an ipod when it gets broken is take it in. Its your best bet, especially if its under warranty because you'll most likely just get a new one.

Steradian

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2002
San Jose
acejackuk

Where in the UK are you from?
Maybe it is like the poster above said..The iPod like all the other HD MP3 players out there are not ment for extream conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.