Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple is quietly expanding its iTunes Advertising campaigns on Television, Internet and Radio.

Apple's iTunes internet ads previously targetted at PC file traders have made their way to a number of other sites including Yahoo and ESPN.

Meanwhile, Apple's recent iPod TV Ad has also been modified to promote iTunes. At the end of the colorful advertisements, the words "iPod + iTunes" and "Now for Windows" now appear.

Finally, Apple has also started radio advertising with reports of host-read advertisements for both iTunes and the iPod on various radio stations, including the Howard Stern show.

As previously reported, reliable sources have indicated that new print and television ads for the iTunes Music Store will appear around the holidays, and are currently being developed.

scooterqcd

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2003
East Village NYC
iPod ads in subways

In the Spring St. station on the #6 line, there are several of the colorful iPod ads along the walls. These are giant plastic ads stuck to the walls so that they look like they have been painted on. The station is just a few blocks from the Apple Store in SoHo.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Let's just hope they don't over-do it here. Getting the word out is one thing, but over-saturating the marketplace with ads could create an unintended, negative backlash (and damage into the'cool' factor of the iPod).

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
Great, still to be amazed...

I haven't seen the first ad in Germany and really would like to.

Ich Liebe Apple :D

P.S The only thing I've seen is small TV scenes where someone works with a mac. :(

wilco

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2003
It's about time...

The current campaign is a joke. They tack on a "iTunes" title onto the ass end of an existing iPod ad, and expect it to have any resonance with consumers?

Show the ****ing interface/features already!

synthetickittie

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2002
Boston
blue line - government center... tons of ads all in a row on the wall. There are always TONS of people wating for a train, standing lookin in the directions of that wall. When I saw those ads I knew it was a perfect spot for them, if you want a lot of people to see them of course :D .
This in boston btw.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
I saw the modified Rock and Roll/Hip Hop iPod ads 3 times last night on MTV within a span of about 1 hour.

JohnGillilan

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2003
Los Angeles
There is a colorful iPod ad on almost every corner in the vicinity of USC in Los Angeles. There is definitely one at every bus stop -- they are everywhere.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Re: It's about time...

Originally posted by wilco
The current campaign is a joke. They tack on a "iTunes" title onto the ass end of an existing iPod ad, and expect it to have any resonance with consumers?

Show the ****ing interface/features already!

I disagree. The ad campaign is meant to build excitement.

Features? Interface? Yawn. People who care about that stuff will go to itunes.com and download it. The ads are to show that iPod is cool, and that you can get music for it online. That's all they need to do.

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
Re: More Apple iTunes Advertising

Originally posted by Macrumors
Apple is quietly expanding its iTunes Advertising campaigns on Television, Internet and Radio.

see, this is what bothers me about apple's advertising methods. they need to make a big deal out of things. doing things quietly just doesnt do it for me. take the windows office commercials. the one were the guy is sitting at his desk and he gets water dumped on him is hilarious. it makes me laugh, not wonder "what the hell was that" like after watching the ipod ads. if i wasnt already a mac user, i wouldnt be intrigued enough to go to the site and check out the ipod. to me, too much mystery equals to much effort. i like things straight forward. tell me about the product, make me smile, and stop making me go on a scavenger hunt just to learn more about a product.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Re: More Apple iTunes Advertising

Originally posted by Macrumors

Finally, Apple has also started radio advertising with reports of host-read advertisements for both iTunes and the iPod on various radio stations, including the Howard Stern show.

Yes, and guess who is paying for that too.... us!

DarkPhoenixCA

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2003
Notably, Howard Stern is doing LIVE ads for the iPod, as well as plugging it ad lib during his show. It seems Apple has given him a number of iPods to give away too...he seems to be giving several 40Gb models a day.

MacDuff

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
San Francisco
This is all good news. There are ads everywhere here in San Francisco as well. Our entire subway stations were fully saturated.

Apple's technique is a strong one, NOT a weak or confusing one. People who are their target market are people who know enough about music and computers that they can recognize what "iPod" and "iTunes" means. Therefore, simplicity and to-the-point is their angle and it's an effective one. Apple also doesn't usually take the "make-you-laugh" approach and I don't see them doing that any time soon. PC users admire the mac whether they admit it or not. Now having iTunes will just make their admiration more obvious.

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by MacDuff

Apple's technique is a strong one, NOT a weak or confusing one. People who are their target market are people who know enough about music and computers that they can recognize what "iPod" and "iTunes" means.

lets be real for a second. the vast majority of computer users are not really in touch with what is cool or hip. most just use what there company gives them or what there parents buy. i think apple should be going after the people who are on the brink of choosing a system rather than those who know better. apple already has a solid market of people who know better. thats what makes us mac users. its the dolts out there that think windows is the wave of the future they should be takin aim at.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Originally posted by sethypoo
Rebirth? When did they die?:rolleyes:

They were almost dead right before the original iMac.

The iMac revived them, but the iPod is something different all together.

chickengrease16

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2003
Tallahassee, FL
by the way, they already have an itunes music store television commercial out. its just like the ipod one, but it says something to the extent of "Purchase Music Downloads" or something. i saw it about a week ago or so. and it says iTunes Music Store.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
Originally posted by Frisco
They were almost dead right before the original iMac.

The iMac revived them, but the iPod is something different all together.

I see, I knew about the iMac reviving them, but I was under the impression that they were doing pretty darn good at the moment. I think what you meant was that the iPod and iTunes will give them an even bigger boost? In that case, you're absolutely right.:p

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
All I want to know is what their Superbowl commerical is going to be like. Remember back in 1984 Superbowl commerical...it's still one of the greatest commerials that ever aired. I hope for a repeat that blows everyone away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.