Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
I currently use an iMac (20" late 2006 model) as my main computer, but for my next I am seriously considering a MacBook Air. I bought my iMac with the intention of using all of it's power (I got the 2.33Ghz with 256mb X1600), but the only time I really tap into the processor is when I encode video, which I do rarely anymore, and when I play games, which I never do anymore since I have a PS3 for that. Now, all I really do is websurf, listen to music, use Garageband, and other basic stuff.

I love the MBA's form factor, and I was thinking that I would not really be missing out on any power differences.
My only concern at this point is the HD space. I will probably wait for the next revision, since the 80GB HD is just to small for me, and I really want SSD too (too pricy currently).

Lastly, I want to know how you feel about the large downsize in screen real estate. My 20" is great, and I don't think I would mind only using a 13", but I can't help buy feel like I would miss the extra space at least a little bit.

So I am wondering if anyone has switched from using an iMac to a MBA, and how your experience has gone. Thanks :)

iJeff

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2008
I did not switch from my iMac to MBA, but bought the MBA to complement my iMac for mobile use.

To me, the MBA is more of a mistress than a wife. While she may be slim and sexy, she may not replace the wife (iMac) :p

fredrickyoon

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
Seoul, South Korea
Been a proud owner of a 24 inch iMac Aluminum 2.8 GHz Extreme processor with 500 GB HD, MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz 17 inch widescreen glossy with 200 GB HD, and now my MacBook Air 1.8 GHz 64 GB SSD to compliment all of it. The iMac and MacBook Pro are my main units and I use the Air as my portable one, carrying it around everywhere, it's so light and amazing, in its ManilaMac Air case that I ordered in mid February which I just received this week.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Actually....yes. I had been using my G5 rev B iMac in my bedroom in the evenings (so as not to disturb neighbors in the condo unit below me after a certain time at night), and that was working fine. I have other Macs that I use during the daytime out in my main living area when the neighbors aren't home and no risk of disturbing them. So I buy the MacBook Air and I'm initially thinking in terms of using it as my traveling machine, my sitting-out-on-the-balcony-in-nice-weather machine.... The first night I had it I brought it into the bedroom with me, made myself comfy, positioned the MBA on my legs and that was that.... The iMac never got turned on that night or in many nights to follow. It has now been eased into retirement as I moved it into another room. My evening/nighttime computer is now my MBA and it is just terrific! I am tickled silly with this machine, as it moves so effortlessly around the house with me or out on the balcony or away from home..... Sitting here right now with it comfortably perched on my legs and am typing away..... Unlike earlier-generation MBPs it's not toasty so I can really use it as a laptop. If the cat wants to sit on my lap, not a big deal to move the MBA to the workstation and continue with my activities....

I love the MBA for its portability, for its speediness and for its gorgeousness. I hadn't expected it to replace my G5 iMac but it really has, as I was most recently using that machine primarily for emails and web-surfing, participation in web-based forums. The MBA is significantly faster than the G5 iMac. To clarify, though, the MBA is not my only computer, I also have the Mac Pro and MBPs for the heavier lifting in terms of what I do on a computer.... If I had ONLY had the iMac previously, I would not consider the MBA as a replacement for that machine. The only reason I consider it a replacement now is that it has capably picked up the same functions that the G5 iMac was performing earlier in terms of general everyday computing tasks.

If I were setting up a new arrangement now, to me the ideal setup would be either a Mac Pro or an iMac in conjunction with the MBA....nothing else really needed!

fredrickyoon

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
Seoul, South Korea
Actually....yes. I had been using my G5 rev B iMac in my bedroom in the evenings (so as not to disturb neighbors in the condo unit below me after a certain time at night), and that was working fine. I have other Macs that I use during the daytime out in my main living area when the neighbors aren't home and no risk of disturbing them. So I buy the MacBook Air and I'm initially thinking in terms of using it as my traveling machine, my sitting-out-on-the-balcony-in-nice-weather machine.... The first night I had it I brought it into the bedroom with me, made myself comfy, positioned the MBA on my legs and that was that.... The iMac never got turned on that night or in many nights to follow. It has now been eased into retirement as I moved it into another room. My evening/nighttime computer is now my MBA and it is just terrific! I am tickled silly with this machine, as it moves so effortlessly around the house with me or out on the balcony or away from home..... Sitting here right now with it comfortably perched on my legs and am typing away..... Unlike earlier-generation MBPs it's not toasty so I can really use it as a laptop. If the cat wants to sit on my lap, not a big deal to move the MBA to the workstation and continue with my activities....

I love the MBA for its portability, for its speediness and for its gorgeousness. I hadn't expected it to replace my G5 iMac but it really has, as I was most recently using that machine primarily for emails and web-surfing, participation in web-based forums. The MBA is significantly faster than the G5 iMac. To clarify, though, the MBA is not my only computer, I also have the Mac Pro and MBPs for the heavier lifting in terms of what I do on a computer.... If I had ONLY had the iMac previously, I would not consider the MBA as a replacement for that machine. The only reason I consider it a replacement now is that it has capably picked up the same functions that the G5 iMac was performing earlier in terms of general everyday computing tasks.

If I were setting up a new arrangement now, to me the ideal setup would be either a Mac Pro or an iMac in conjunction with the MBA....nothing else really needed!

Couldn't agree with you more. Hope that you are enjoying it as much as I am!

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
See my signature. I don't think MBA "replaces" an iMac or any desktop - it's more of a mobile companion. Call me old fashioned, but I enjoy my alum iMac with 24" full screen, and stand-alone keyboard/mouse when I am sitting at my desk.

And of course iPhone is MBA's "ultra-mobile" companion, so no base is left uncovered :)

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
Thanks for all of the replies :)

Now that I think of it, I would likely keep my current iMac (as selling it would wouldn't bring in much cash in the 2 more years I plan to keep it), so it seems like the MBA would definitely be the perfect compliment. And if I was like Clix Pix, I would probably end up using the MBA more than the iMac. I don't even need the power on the iMac for 90% of the stuff I do, but if I ever needed it, it would always be there.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
Thanks for all of the replies :)

Now that I think of it, I would likely keep my current iMac (as selling it would wouldn't bring in much cash in the 2 more years I plan to keep it), so it seems like the MBA would definitely be the perfect compliment. And if I was like Clix Pix, I would probably end up using the MBA more than the iMac. I don't even need the power on the iMac for 90% of the stuff I do, but if I ever needed it, it would always be there.

Wise choice. Hardly ever touch my iMac now but it does store vid's, pic's and iTunes lib that just won't fit on the Air along w. all the work crap.

Capt. Morgan

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
I did not switch from my iMac to MBA, but bought the MBA to complement my iMac for mobile use.

To me, the MBA is more of a mistress than a wife. While she may be slim and sexy, she may not replace the wife (iMac) :p

Too funny! When I did a clean system install on my MBA I had a chance to rename the HD. I asked my girlfriend what I should name it and she said "the other woman". That was too long, so she came up with "Mistress"! So, that is the official name of my MBA. For good measure, I downloaded a photo of Catherine Zeta-Jones and pasted it into the HD icon.

thorbenh

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2008
I am planning to switch from my Windows Laptop to MBA in the next weeks or so.

As I am new to apple I would really like to know how often speed bumps are done by apple. I heard something about 8 weeks periods? So the first speed bump for MBA should be in the next few weeks, right?

I am not one of the guys always complaining but I NEED the MBA but also need some performance. So I am thinking to buy the 1.8Ghz now or at least wait some weeks as I really don´t need it before may (it´s just that i WANT it before may ;))

Hmmm.... what do you think?

grimslade

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2008
I use both. The notion of switching doesn't make a lot of sense to me. They're very different products, which serve different functions.

GeneKam

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2008
Mississauga, ON
Air is not really a good priority laptop, but rather a complemetary. I have my macbook as my prime machine and i love it, i have my music and photos on it, and all the documents fcourse. The rest of media such as movies and software backup is on external hardrive. Air is going to be even worse as it is missing the speed and the hardrive, it is tottally amazing "Mistteres" but as mentioned above, it will never substitute the wife.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
I am planning to switch from my Windows Laptop to MBA in the next weeks or so.

As I am new to apple I would really like to know how often speed bumps are done by apple. I heard something about 8 weeks periods? So the first speed bump for MBA should be in the next few weeks, right?

I am not one of the guys always complaining but I NEED the MBA but also need some performance. So I am thinking to buy the 1.8Ghz now or at least wait some weeks as I really don´t need it before may (it´s just that i WANT it before may ;))

Hmmm.... what do you think?

I don't know where you heard a speed bump every 2 months... but that is definitely off :eek: Without a doubt buy the MBA now (if you had any hesitation due to a speed bump coming soon... which it isnt), I can't see another update happening until at least late this year. Apple spent a long time making the MBA, and they likely aren't going to make any changes to it for a while (like with the iPhone).

Schnebar

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
California
I have an iMac right now and am considering getting a MacBook air for my primary computer as I go to college next year. The 1.8 is probably just as fast as my 2.0 intel iMac.

To solve your screen problem you can always have a external monitor when you need to.

Since Leopard came out and I wiped my computer I have only used 66 GBs. And I have not tried to be careful or anything. I could survive with 64GBs if I had to. You can always have an external HD for backing up photos and videos.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
I have an iMac right now and am considering getting a MacBook air for my primary computer as I go to college next year. The 1.8 is probably just as fast as my 2.0 intel iMac.

To solve your screen problem you can always have a external monitor when you need to.

Since Leopard came out and I wiped my computer I have only used 66 GBs. And I have not tried to be careful or anything. I could survive with 64GBs if I had to. You can always have an external HD for backing up photos and videos.

Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't necessarily say that I have a "problem" concerning a larger display, I am just wondering if I will have withdrawls from such a nice display when using the MBA's much smaller 13".

Also, if you have used 66GBs, you might want to be careful about getting a SSD, because the actual capacity you get out of it when you use the computer is less than 64GB. But you will probably do fine either way, if you are willing to remove some stuff from your HD that you don't need.

Schnebar

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
California
Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't necessarily say that I have a "problem" concerning a larger display, I am just wondering if I will have withdrawls from such a nice display when using the MBA's much smaller 13".

Also, if you have used 66GBs, you might want to be careful about getting a SSD, because the actual capacity you get out of it when you use the computer is less than 64GB. But you will probably do fine either way, if you are willing to remove some stuff from your HD that you don't need.

Well I have a 250 GB HD in my iMac and 184 GB Available so I think that 66 includes everything.

But I see your point and am going to wait until the summer for hopefully a bigger drive. I mean I would probably just go with the regular HD and save $1000. But if a 128 GB SSD comes out it might be a hard choice.

I have dual 20" monitors right now so I know it will be hard for me to go to the air's screen. I will for sure have to have a docking station in my dorm with my dell monitor and maybe an external HD with my music and videos.

Yeah I can just keep my music off my air's HD because when I am on the go it will all by with me on my touch.

Phalanx

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2008
Air is not really a good priority laptop, but rather a complemetary. I have my macbook as my prime machine and i love it, i have my music and photos on it, and all the documents fcourse. The rest of media such as movies and software backup is on external hardrive. Air is going to be even worse as it is missing the speed and the hardrive, it is tottally amazing "Mistteres" but as mentioned above, it will never substitute the wife.

Man, I wish I could afford $1800 for a "complementary" laptop. If HP would have devised such an item they would have sold none. :rolleyes:

fredrickyoon

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
Seoul, South Korea
Man, I wish I could afford $1800 for a "complementary" laptop. If HP would have devised such an item they would have sold none. :rolleyes:

I've got a 01/2008 MacBook Pro 17" 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Santa Rosa with 200 GB HD (wifey's), a 12/2007 iMac Aluminum 24" 2.8 GHz Extreme Intel Core 2 Duo; and my new 02/2008 MacBook Air 13.3 1.8 GHz 64 GB SSD to compliment my Apple family.

Phalanx

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2008
I've got a 01/2008 MacBook Pro 17" 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Santa Rosa with 200 GB HD (wifey's), a 12/2007 iMac Aluminum 24" 2.8 GHz Extreme Intel Core 2 Duo; and my new 02/2008 MacBook Air 13.3 1.8 GHz 64 GB SSD to compliment my Apple family.

I think i would have taken that money and gone ahead and bought the porsche.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.