Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Nov 4, 2003, 12:54 PM   #1
jxyama
macrumors 68040

iPod self-reset?

if there's been a thread on this already, i'd appreciate a re-direction. i couldn't find anything from a quick search...

i have a 10GB 3rd gen iPod. i use it every few days. if i don't use it for more than a day or so, the iPod resets itself (the black apple logo screen for a while, then the main menu) before it becomes accessible. is this a known problem?

after use, i turn it off by holding the play button, then i turn on the hold switch to "locked." the iPod self-resets (a day or more later) when i move the hold switch from "locked" to "unlocked."
jxyama is offline   0
Old Nov 5, 2003, 01:13 PM   #2
jxyama
macrumors 68040

no one experiences this? or does everyone listen to the music daily and never have the ipod off for a few days...
jxyama is offline   0
Old Nov 5, 2003, 01:23 PM   #3
Dreadnought
macrumors 68000

Hmmm, I use my pod the same way as you do, but it always remembers the presets I put in there... strange...

BTW, I have a 2g 20 gb
Dreadnought is offline   0
Old Nov 5, 2003, 01:27 PM   #4
ckwm
macrumors member

I get the reset problem too (15gb, 3rd gen) but not often enough to have noticed a problem. My iPod remembers the setings after reset too. Odd.
Old Nov 5, 2003, 01:27 PM   #5
parrothead
macrumors 6502a

That happened to me yesterday on my 30gb ipod. I use it every day, all day. The self reset happened in the morning when I turned off the hold button. Still seems to work ok though.
parrothead is offline   0
Old Nov 5, 2003, 02:05 PM   #6
jxyama
macrumors 68040

thanks for the info... yeah, i forgot to mention. it's a soft-reset. it remembers all the settings and songs/playlists. but i do have to wait a few seconds before it finishes resetting.

i just wanted to make sure this is a known problem so i wouldn't need to worry about getting mine fixed...
jxyama is offline   0
Old Nov 5, 2003, 02:17 PM   #7
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

My 1st Gen iPod 10GB turns on by itself. I think it just does it at midnight... I think it's the Alarm or something... although I don't have one set... I'm playing around with it to figure it out though.
Old Nov 5, 2003, 02:31 PM   #8
zimv20
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally posted by jxyama
thanks for the info... yeah, i forgot to mention. it's a soft-reset. it remembers all the settings and songs/playlists. but i do have to wait a few seconds before it finishes resetting.
that happens to mine, too. the only thing it doesn't remember is what song it was playing.

i'd assumed that, after a period of non-use, it goes into a mode that uses less power. i'd never considered it a problem.

until now.

i curse you. ;-)
Old Nov 5, 2003, 02:47 PM   #9
jxyama
macrumors 68040

well, sorry...

i don't really consider it a problem either. i just wanted to make sure it's not something unique to my ipod, that was all...
jxyama is offline   0
Old Feb 15, 2004, 06:15 PM   #10
norfair
macrumors newbie

Mine too

Mine does the same thing. I put it to sleep on friday night, and put it back on sunday evening, then it show the apple logo, etc. but keeps all settings. I would guess it's to preserve power. In any case, I'm happy to see it happens to other ppl After the soft resets though, the battery always shows like it has 25% of power left even if it has more than that. After a while it goes back up to the right value. Weird.
norfair is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers