Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion

Old Nov 4, 2003, 06:22 PM   #1
Groggymanat6
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to Groggymanat6
The New i books

Hi, I have not bought any apple computers before, and am using a PC currently until christmas that is. Thats when I am getting A new computer, or planning too. I had been researching many different computers since mid october and I looked at the i book that used to be G3 but is now a G4. I know that when it was a G3 it was really kindof the economic cheapest buy, but on the other hand I could have gotton a PC that was far more powerful for the same price. Now that they have G4 how long do you think they will be able to keep up with todays games, and technology, or how long the G4 will remain one of apples fastes processers in their laptop systems.

Thank you

Alex
Groggymanat6 is offline   0
Old Nov 4, 2003, 08:25 PM   #2
Ensoniq
macrumors regular

Here is what I feel is a fair and balanced answer to your question.

The G3 was and still is a great processor. With the exception of programs specifically designed to use AltiVec (the G4's special math/vector processor), the G3 was every bit as powerful as the G4 was. And it was great for a laptop, because it was cooler and consumed less power than the G4.

Now that the G4 is in the iBook, you get all the power of the original G3, plus AltiVec too. So the iBook is simply a better buy today with a G4 than when it had the G3, because most graphically oriented programs (including music/photo/video editing, games, and the OS itself) all take advantage of AltiVec when it's there.

You asked a very specific question about whether or not the G4 will be able to keep up with "today's games and technology" and whether or not it will remain one of the fastest processors in Apple's laptops. So let me address that, in my opinion:

1 - The iBook will definitely keep up with technology...it's essentially the same as the first 12" PowerBook, and no one would say that was a wimpy machine. But the 12" iBook actually has better graphics, and is a solid machine if you plan to keep it the next 3 years or so.

2 - With Apple introducing the G4 to the iBook, it's pretty clear that the G4 is going to stick around for a least a year. Any G5 laptops before the end of 2004 will be PowerBooks...so if you need an economy priced laptop today, the G4 is your only option. And that is not a bad thing. The G5 has amazing potential down the line, but today it's just for those who need every bit of speed for mission critical work. No home user NEEDS a G5 today, even if they think they do.

3 - Games - Honest answer...if games are one of your primary interests in buying this machine, consider a PC. The G4 iBook will do just fine on games...as well as any PC laptop with integrated graphics. But if you're going to be someone who's going to obsess over FPS benchmarks, the Mac is not the machine for you.

A PC is a machine that gives you an overwhelming choice of features and models at a variety of prices, with the common denominator being the Windows OS. If you like Windows, and Windows gets along with the pieces of hardware in your specific machine, then you'll be able to put up with it just fine.

A Mac is a machine that sometimes makes a sacrifice (very small, in my opinion) in power compared to the top of the line Wintel machines, in exchange for a seamless integrated system of hardware and OS harmony. By not dwelling on Wintel benchmarks and hype, you may end up with a machine that you won't just "tolerate" for the next 3 years...you'll probably love it, and be more satisfied with your purchase far longer than with a PC.

Okay...end of my marketing diatribe. Good luck with your decision.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion