Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
Does anyone know of an application to password protect folders without making them disk images?

I use "EncryptThis" now, but it's such a hassle to drag out the current contents of the locked DMG, add one file, and then remake the DMG.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Does anyone know of an application to password protect folders without making them disk images?

I use "EncryptThis" now, but it's such a hassle to drag out the current contents of the locked DMG, add one file, and then remake the DMG.
Why not just use Disk Utility to make an encypted DMG? I've done that for some sensitive stuff and it works great. Once you double click on the dmg it asks for a password, input that and it mounts. Do what you need to do and then unmount it and your secure again. You can have up to 256 bit AES encryption.

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
actually i found another thread talking about changing the folder permissions because that requires your administrator password anyway.

thanks though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.