Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
How are the current relationships between XBOX 360/PS3 and OS X?

I've heard of Connect360 but considering my video files are mostly .MP4 and .MPG I'm wondering how useful this will be.
The PS3 doesn't have a large enough HD to store my complete library of video but can it stream fairly easily?

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
Connect360 is the best thing to happen. Its works so easy and fast it is great. But I don't know if they support .mp4 and .mpg as all my movies are in .avi format.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Connect360 is the best thing to happen. Its works so easy and fast it is great. But I don't know if they support .mp4 and .mpg as all my movies are in .avi format.

I love it for music (although I wish last.fm worked) and now DivX works, tons of video on my TV, which is much nicer than having it on my small screen through headphones.

It supports H.264, DIVX, XVID, MOV, AVI, WMV, ASF

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
Pretty much anything that iTunes will play, the 360 will play and more. I have most of my iTunes videos in "High" iPod format, so I can play them on my iPod and stream them to the 360 in the living room.

I've been really happy with Connect360, I only wish that it could see the folder structure or be able to sort videos by show name. If you are streaming iTunes videos, it lists them all alphabetically so I have to remember the name of the episode.

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
So it could see all my South Park and Family Guy videos on iTunes*? Awesome.

I think I'll get a 360 then. :D

*Not purchased from iTunes.

EDIT: What's anyone's opinion on the Premium vs Elite?

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
I have connect 360 and it is great. I have a PS3 also but have not used or purchased Medialink (i may give it a try sometime)

Just be aware that anything you rent from iTunes and carries DRM is not going to work with these programs.

I use it for home movies and my own DVD's that I have ripped using Handbrake.

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
I have connect 360 and it is great. I have a PS3 also but have not used or purchased Medialink (i may give it a try sometime)

Just be aware that anything you rent from iTunes and carries DRM is not going to work with these programs.

I use it for home movies and my own DVD's that I have ripped using Handbrake.

Same here. I rip my dvds using the AppleTV setting in Handbrake and then watch them on my tv using my 360 and connect360.

You can install a larger HD or use MediaLink to stream from mac.
http://www.nullriver.com/products/medialink

Thanks for the link! I never noticed that Nullriver made an app for the PS3. I have been looking at using the PS3 to stream media instead of the 360 (sick of the 360's noise, crashing all the time, etc.) and the idea of Remote Play on my PSP is awesome. Will try this tonight!

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006

Does it access the videos from the iTunes library or do I have to store duplicate files somewhere?
I just found 22GB of duplicated files but maybe I should have kept them.

EDIT: I think wwooden said that it does there but if anyone could confirm that, it'd be great.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Does it access the videos from the iTunes library or do I have to store duplicate files somewhere?
I just found 22GB of duplicated files but maybe I should have kept them.

EDIT: I think wwooden said that it does there but if anyone could confirm that, it'd be great.
It uses iTunes and your Movies folder together as a source, but you can choose another folder if you want.

juskin

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2008
los angeles
does anyone know why PS3 doesnt play handbrake mp4 and mkv files?
Ive tried both disks and streaming it, it does not play those is it the audio settings with handbrake?

nordesmic

macrumors member
May 2, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
does anyone know why PS3 doesnt play handbrake mp4 and mkv files?
Ive tried both disks and streaming it, it does not play those is it the audio settings with handbrake?

The PS3 doesn't play MKV files and I don't think it will anytime soon. As for MP4 it is very particular about what it accepts. MP4 will not work unless the video codec inside the container is compatible (MP4 is only a container not a video codec). The new version works fine with MP4 files for me if you select AVC / h.264 + AAC which is the second option in the list for MP4 encodes. The first did not work and probably still doesn't.

NonXistentNinja

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2008
Connect 360 Connection Issues

When I go to set up my Connect 360, the program recognizes all of my media and my 360 but it won't stream to my console. In the status pane for my media it says "awaiting Xbox 360 connections" even though my 360 is on and connected to my network. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has this problem but everyone I hear from says their setup was so easy and I just wish mine was the same. I tried the whole create the alias to the library thing and that didn't work. Any help would be much obliged.

juskin

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2008
los angeles
The PS3 doesn't play MKV files and I don't think it will anytime soon. As for MP4 it is very particular about what it accepts. MP4 will not work unless the video codec inside the container is compatible (MP4 is only a container not a video codec). The new version works fine with MP4 files for me if you select AVC / h.264 + AAC which is the second option in the list for MP4 encodes. The first did not work and probably still doesn't.

yeah Ive ripped all of my DVDs using handbrake with the apple TV settings and
now that iVe bought a playstation, I guess IM going to have to re do them with the ps3 settings and when I switch between the settings, the only thing that changes are the audio settings which leads me to believe apple tv has better audio capabilities??

hxh103

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2008
Does anyone know a way of sharing to both a 360 and ps3 without having to buy both apps from nullriver?

TVersity, it's suppose to work with a lot of things, inlcuding psp and ipod touch. This is only for windows right now, but I tried it on BootCamp and I could never get it to work. A Mac version is in the works I think.

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
Isnt there a free option for sharing with the PS3? Ive copied all the tv shows to it but I would like to stream music (which I do in WMP with windows).

hxh103

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2008
I'm not sure, probably, but I don't have a PS3 so I can't say. I forgot to mention, TVersity is free program and it is open source. googling it should take you to it's webpage. It acts like a media server that many different devices can stream contents from, such as xbox360 and PS3.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I use medialink for PS3, but the damn thing wont play music bought from iTunes, meaning no Daft Punk and 100s other songs. makes me wish I had torrented them...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.