Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ddk121

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
Wales, UK
Hey!
I am currently visiting the US, and have just bought an :apple: TV. At home, in the UK, I currently have a US iTunes account, using US gift cards, and also a UK account. Will the :apple: TV I bought be fully compatible when I get home, i.e, will ALL of the features work?

dogtanian

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Bournemouth, UK
Hey!
I am currently visiting the US, and have just bought an :apple: TV. At home, in the UK, I currently have a US iTunes account, using US gift cards, and also a UK account. Will the :apple: TV I bought be fully compatible when I get home, i.e, will ALL of the features work?

I've always been under the impression it will. Just remember to pick up a UK figure of eight lead!

Renting films should also work with your US account. You'll be missing out on Skins/Shameless/Spaced though! :eek:

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
I was wondering the same thing, I want to get one to bring back to the UK but can't seem to find out whether they are all NTSC/PAL interchangeable... same question with HD since the framerates are different?

Will a Taiwan (NTSC country) :apple:tv work in UK over HDMI?

VideoFreek

Contributor
May 12, 2007
Philly
Check the specs. All AppleTVs support PAL and NTSC output, as well as "PAL-friendly" HD output options (50Hz). Your North American (or Taiwanese) AppleTV will work in PAL-land just fine.

Cherimoya

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
NJ
I use my US Apple TV in the UK with my US iTunes account...everything works fine... no problems :)

cdownton

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2008
Me too - all works fine. And you take advantage of the exchange rate with your movie rentals! It even seems to be happy playing content that's linked to my UK account on the same box.
HD works well too - I think if you have a telly that can do HD it can take pretty much anything. (Yes that's technical talk)
Only problem is now I have to go to new york all the time to buy the gift cards... :mad: Life is so difficult

pedz

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
Sorry, just curious, why do you need to buy gift cards when using your US account?

I am potentially going to relocate to london (from US) for work and hope I can use my US account and Apple TV for movie rentals while there.

One other question, do you have to get a voltage converter? If so have you had any issues using it in London with one (e.g. overheating...)?

Thanks,
Peter

VideoFreek

Contributor
May 12, 2007
Philly
^^^^^
You need a method of payment for iTMS purchases and rentals. If you want to use a credit card, it needs to be linked to a US billing address, which you may be able to manage based on your circumstances. Otherwise, you use gift cards. Others have mentioned using PayPal accounts, but I have no personal experience with this...use the search if you're interested.

Re: voltage converters...you don't need one for the AppleTV, it has a universal, auto-switching power supply. You'll of course need an adapter plug or a new power cord to connect to the UK mains.

pedz

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
Understood, and good news on the power supply, thanks for the reply.

Peter

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
Thread revival....

hey all... my dad just bought apple tv in the us... but we completely forgot about the power cord... does anyone know where we can pick up a uk power cord for it????

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
hey all... my dad just bought apple tv in the us... but we completely forgot about the power cord... does anyone know where we can pick up a uk power cord for it????

Have a look at the adaptor, you might find it will accept both power systems
If your adaptor has written on it something along the lines of 'AC Input 100-240v' then just get one of these:

1123TSR7ECL._SL500_AA150_.jpg

(But if not.. ie . 100-120v then it will blow up if you plug it in!:eek:)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/US-UK-Plug-Travel-Adaptor/dp/B0006OFKNC

cdownton

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2008

Unless they've changed it, you don't need a power adapter (it can take all voltages), you can just use the traveler adapter. Or, for a neater solution, buy one of the old-style tape recorder power cords. You can get them at Maplin:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1168

CD

Diveflo

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2008
Others have mentioned using PayPal accounts, but I have no personal experience with this...use the search if you're interested.
Afaik that does not work because you will need a US-based payment method (credit card) in your PayPal account. I live in Germany and use gift cards from this webshop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.