Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Mar 24, 2008, 09:56 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Steven Levy going to Wired

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Steven Levy going to Wired

Description:: Newsweek reportedly is paying him six figures to leave

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Mar 24, 2008, 11:09 AM   #2
fixyourthinking
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Yahoo to fixyourthinking
Great guy ... potentially taking Leander's place

Steven Levy is a great guy ... I hope he's going to take Leander Kahney's place.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 11:45 AM   #3
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

A year or so ago, I would not have called this a promotion. After all, Newsweek is a respected national magazine, and Wired has a spotty reputation. But now with all of the news magazines and newspapers going downhill rapidly I suppose this might even be a good move for a tech journalist. And a six-figure contract buyout -- wow!
Old Mar 24, 2008, 06:08 PM   #4
macFanDave
macrumors 6502a

He probably got canned for losing (or pretending to lose) his loaner MacBook Air.
macFanDave is offline   0
Old Mar 24, 2008, 11:33 PM   #5
John.B
macrumors 68040

I wonder if he will continue to get special treatment from Cupertino now that he's working for these guys.
John.B is offline   0
Old Mar 25, 2008, 09:36 AM   #6
tgildred
macrumors 6502

Hm. I thought this said Eugene Levy and clicked. Is there anything that guy won't do?
tgildred is offline   0
Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:39 AM   #7
kingtj
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to kingtj
Nah, I would have always called that a promotion....

Say what you will about Wired magazine. They've always been considered a better source for *technical* stories and info than Newsweek! Newsweek is respected because it caters to the masses. Everyone's heard of it, and almost everyone has picked up a copy and read part of it while waiting for a haircut or a doctor's appointment. Schools commonly make students read it in class for projects, etc. Wired has a much sharper focus. They're about the "celebration of technology". If your focus as a writer is on technical topics, then Wired is a FAR better place to be than being forced to dumb-down everything for mass consumption in a generic "news magazine".

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly View Post
A year or so ago, I would not have called this a promotion. After all, Newsweek is a respected national magazine, and Wired has a spotty reputation. But now with all of the news magazines and newspapers going downhill rapidly I suppose this might even be a good move for a tech journalist. And a six-figure contract buyout -- wow!
kingtj is offline   0
Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:45 AM   #8
Silencio
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgildred View Post
Hm. I thought this said Eugene Levy and clicked. Is there anything that guy won't do?
If he brought Christopher Guest, Harry Shearer, Parker Posey, Bob Balaban and company along with him, then Wired might actually be worth reading again.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 11:46 AM   #9
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtj View Post
Say what you will about Wired magazine. They've always been considered a better source for *technical* stories and info than Newsweek! Newsweek is respected because it caters to the masses. Everyone's heard of it, and almost everyone has picked up a copy and read part of it while waiting for a haircut or a doctor's appointment. Schools commonly make students read it in class for projects, etc. Wired has a much sharper focus. They're about the "celebration of technology". If your focus as a writer is on technical topics, then Wired is a FAR better place to be than being forced to dumb-down everything for mass consumption in a generic "news magazine".
Magazines like Newsweek used to be considered the A-team of journalism. No longer. Presumably this is why Levy was prepared to bail.

Wired has had some moments. I guess I'm reflecting on the lost potential, having watched them since the beginning. The tech magazine I really miss is Upside. They tried to be (for lack of a better description) the thinking-man's Wired. It didn't last long.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion