Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Mar 24, 2008, 07:09 PM   #1
epanagio
macrumors newbie

Uninstall Palm Desktop

I am trying to uninstall Palm Desktop. Went to palm.com, read their instructions and followed them to the letter. They claim that during the installation I will be given a chance to remove it. Nope. I have a Tungsten 5 and I am trying to remove Palm Desktop.

Aside from this request and since I am new to Apple products, why isn't that I cannot uninstall it myself? Windows has a Control panel where you can go and remove applications.

Thanks,

Evan
epanagio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2008, 07:17 PM   #2
richard.mac
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to richard.mac
are you using Leopard? try searching for "palm" in Finder search with a "system files - included" search parameter (hace to add it from other) and delete anything that seems to be an application file like a plist file, log file, cache folder etc. add a path bar at the bottom from Finder's view menu to see where the files are from. if your using Tiger you dont need to add a search parameter.

or you could use Appcleaner which will search for files that it thinks are part of the Palm Desktop app and allow you to delete them.

another method would be to see if the Palm Desktop installer left a reciept file in /Library/Receipts. open the package and press "command-I". a window will open showing you all the files that were installed.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 07:21 PM   #3
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

According to this document, all you need to do to uninstall Palm Desktop 4.2.1 Rev D is trash the "Palm" folder that is located in Applications.

For most Mac apps, that's all you need to do. Generally a couple of small preference files will be left behind, but they're harmless and are convenient if you ever decide to reinstall the program.

But if an app comes with an uninstaller, you should use it. Looks like Palm doesn't use one anymore.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 07:28 PM   #4
epanagio
macrumors newbie

Hey, thanks guys. I am using 10.5.2.
Where are those preference files stored?

Evan
epanagio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2008, 07:38 PM   #5
richard.mac
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to richard.mac
Quote:
Originally Posted by epanagio View Post
Hey, thanks guys. I am using 10.5.2.
Where are those preference files stored?

Evan
in ~/Library/Preferences or sometimes /Library/Preferences. such search for the preference files in the Finder they have a .plist extension. just searching for "palm" with system files included should show it.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store