Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
For anyone not familiar nLite is a program that slims down your windows install by allowing your to get rid of things such as extra language packs and foreign language fonts. I used it on my eeePC (great machine btw!) and the speed of windows after being nlited was amazing and I wanted to do it on my mac. Problem is my mac is still in the mail and since its my first mac Im not sure how bootcamp works.

Anyone try this with sucess?

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Hm..I should probably just leave it alone then. Not sure what vmware does but who knows i may need it someday....

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I've used it to integrate all the latest updates onto the XP install disk and to automate some of the installation. It saves you having to download and install over 90 updates :eek:

Guides to help can be found here & here

Download the Windows updates from here

reh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2003
Arkansas
I've used nLite before installing Windows for the past several years. Most recently for a Bootcamp installation and a Parallels installation. Both worked just fine.

Keep in mind that you can strip a lot of features from Windows with nLite. Enough to potentially break Windows for some installs. If you stick with integrating the windows updates and just stripping a few features that you know are safe to do so, it should work just fine for you.

hodgjy

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
Nlite is a fine app. I've used it with great success. It's not for the amateurs, however. Don't go cleaning out Windows apps and services unless you know what you're doing. If not, you'll get nightmares like you did.

i used XPLite to slim down my boot camp install & then i realised that it wont work in VMware. time to reinstall and never use that app again.

ttriff

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008
I used nLite to slipstream SP2 into my XP Pro SP1 disc. It installed with BootCamp and VMware Fusion without any problems.

I've also used nLite to Slipstream SATA drivers into an XP Pro disc so I could wipe Vista off a new HP laptop and install XP..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.