Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
A similar domain was registered for the MacBook Air before release :)

And if I remember correctly was actually registered by MacRumors, see here

The MacBookAir.com domain is now in the hands of Apple. MacRumors.com had registered it ahead of Macworld in anticipation of the MacBook Air release. As promised, we handed it over to Apple when asked. However, this does demonstrate that Apple does not necessarily register domains of upcoming products even when they are freely available. Curiously, our MacBookAir.com domain registration actually triggered a number of actual MacBookAir domain registrations by Apple.

So perhaps apple has learnt from previous examples to register the domain first.

JG271

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
UK
Perhaps also because iPod is their brand name, and they want to preserve that.
Interesting though.

Delicious-Apple

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2006
Perhaps also because iPod is their brand name, and they want to preserve that.
Interesting though.

I agree, it could be a simple security move. But Apple have been very public with their plans to create the first 'Mainstream WiFi Mobile Platform' starting with the iPod Touch. It is indeed interesting. :)

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
The domain was registered on 15th January this year to a guy in Colorado. Don't think it's an apple registered domain so this is a bit of a non-story...

Delicious-Apple

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2006
The domain was registered on 15th January this year to a guy in Colorado. Don't think it's an apple registered domain so this is a bit of a non-story...

You are absolutely right! It's the same as before except this hasn't been transferred to Apple (yet). Some random person has purchased the domain and forwarded it to Apples site.

Time to go to back to bed! This looks like a non story, I'll ask the mods to lock/delete the thread :(

INXS

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2008
I was observing this blog.. and see a different whois registant.

WHOIS
Registrant:
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
United States

So I wonder if Apple put pressure on the Owner or maybe Apple really has something up it's sleeve. Also they may had contacted the owner and stated that the URL will need to point to Apple until it's properly transferred.

TravisReynolds

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
Seattle
There is no way we are going to get an iPod air, that just does not sound like a good name. Apple wouldn't call it an iPod air

Eric Lewis

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2007
CANADA? eh?
Sneek peak at the iPod AD..but its super small

INXS

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2008
Hey, that's what nearly everyone was saying before the Macbook Air was released. . ;)

I agree with karenflower,

Everyone said that Macbookair was just plain stupid and Apple would never name one of it's products that, and it did happen. I wouldn't count out the name iPodair.. it just sounds too right espesially from the words of Apple's CFO.

from Apple CFO:

“We view the iPod market as bigger than the market for simple music players,” said Peter Oppenheimer, Apple’s chief financial officer. “We believe one of the iPod’s future directions is to become the first mainstream Wi-Fi mobile platform.”

Makes sense to name a device that combines Wi-Fi technology and the iPod brand right from the CFO about the iPods future..

So the iPod Air looks like a good name for that type of product.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
All I can think is that "Air" is going to be the new name that Apple uses instead of nano/mini ect. But this is pretty far ahead of when Apple would be releasing the iPods (usually September), I guess that they are probably going ahead with this name for a new iPod.

INXS

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2008
Quotes from MacRumors

The 7th Gen iPod (The new Apple Tablet Mobile Wi-Fi ?)

The iPod Air name? now that everyone is now becoming acclimated with the " Air " moniker.. maybe the future holds a branding by Apple with the " Air " name following the iPod, thus iPod Air.

Several Months ago...
Quotes regarding the Macbook Air name (MacRumors):
Thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/413381/

" Now I read messages on how MacBook and MacBook Pro name are "timeless" and such, but MacBook Air name is lame. And the little sheep goes "baaaa, baaaa, baaa" all day long."

"MacBook Air would indeed be a ridiculous name... forgivable only if this machine actually replaces the battery with a built-in compressed air energy storage tank (and microturbine generator). "

"I really doubt it would be called Macbook Air, because the domain name was JUST registered yesterday. I don't think Apple would be so dumb as to not pre-register the domain name, even if they did it anonymously."

Hmmm this sounds all too familiar... doesn't it?
Maybe Apple has learned to register the name and/ or aquire it before product release. Albeit it's is easy to create a sub-domain i.e., http://www.Apple.com/ipodair , thus direct users from the homepage to sub-pages.

Does the iPod Air name still sound ridiculous? Sure sounds like it's becoming a solid possibility/reality..I would'nt count it out so fast. In the Fall of 08 we may all be hailing this new iPod Air (Mobile Tablet PC.)

Regarding,
URL iPodair.com
Some are saying that the domain iPodair.com is cybersquatting by some random individual. I think not because the user is NOT gaining any revenue from such actions by forwarding it to Apple.com/store etc. The true act of cybersquatting, technically speaking is earning revenue from it's own respective website to gain revenue from a copyrighted name/image. So this theory is negated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.