Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Mar 25, 2008, 04:50 PM   #1
dbv
macrumors newbie

Removing front fan assembly on Mac Pro

I'm trying to remove the front fan assembly on the 2006 Mac Pro and it's giving me a hard time. The top part near the screw popped out easy but the bottom is stuck. I'm not sure how much force to use or in which direction to pull, straight out of the case (2) or upwards toward the hard drive bays (1)? I tried easing it in both directions but it won't budge. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front fan assembly.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	109349  
dbv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 05:00 PM   #2
cal6n
macrumors 68000

You need something like a PCI slot-cover to use as a puller. Tuck the short bit under the plastic at the top-right of your photo and give it a good (but not excessive) tug in direction (2). As long as you've removed the screw, it should pop out OK.

Last edited by cal6n; Mar 25, 2008 at 05:00 PM. Reason: clarity
cal6n is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 08:01 PM   #3
dbv
macrumors newbie

Thanks. I already did that. The top right (near the screw) is completely lose already. Something is holding it on the other end. Where are those clips exactly? Is there one where I marked 'stuck'?

edit: never mind, it's out. It just needed a good forceful tug. I love plastic latches. Thanks.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 03:58 AM   #4
cal6n
macrumors 68000

Ooops!

For anyone who comes to this thread in future, I meant the top left of the photo...

Sorry for any confusion.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 08:09 AM   #5
dbv
macrumors newbie

Maybe I should mention in case someone finds this that there is a rail on the left side where it was stuck. It's kind of tight but the assembly slides straight out (2) after unlatching it on the right. Not really difficult at all, if you've done it once.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 11:17 AM   #6
scottharwell
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to scottharwell Send a message via Skype™ to scottharwell
Mac Pro Fan Assembly Removal

I spent quite some time going over this yesterday trying to add a new SATA optical drive to my Mac Pro (early 2008). On the 8 core models, there is a screw on the left side of your picture as well.

To get to it, you need to remove the CPU cover. You do not have to do anything to the RAM risers or assembly, just leave them alone. To remove the CPU cover, reach down toward the motherboard and grab the lip of the cover. Gently pull outward, then up, and it should come right off, exposing the heatsinks for the CPUs. The other screw it tucked under the lip of the fan assembly. You will probably have to get close to the computer to see it, but it's pretty obvious. Once this screw is out, along with the one on the motherboard, then the fan assembly gently comes out.

I shredded my fingers and probably came close to breaking my computer trying to yank the dang thing out before removing this screw. I found some documentation on Apple's site about adding a RAID card and it described this process for removing the fan assembly.

I'd be happy to post a video tutorial on my site if anyone is interested.
scottharwell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2008, 01:22 PM   #7
cal6n
macrumors 68000

Err.. We know about the screw, thanks.

From the OP:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbv View Post
*snip*

The top part near the screw popped out easy...

*snip*
and from post 2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal6n View Post
*snip*

(2). As long as you've removed the screw, it should pop out OK.
and from post 3:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbv View Post
Thanks. I already did that. The top right (near the screw) is completely lose (sic) already.

*snip*
Or are you saying there's a second screw on the later model?

*edit* Ah, that is what you meant. Sorry.

Last edited by cal6n; Jun 1, 2008 at 01:33 PM.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 02:37 PM   #8
scottharwell
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to scottharwell Send a message via Skype™ to scottharwell
Hey Cal,

Per your edit, I assume that you know that I do not mean the screw that attaches to the motherboard, but a new one, I believe, that screws to the lowermost heatsink (for the second CPU). I think this was added in the early 2008 edition of the Mac Pro, which is why it wasn't discussed earlier. I just wanted to post it since this listing comes up in Google searches on the subject. Since I was one of the readers of the post, I figured I would help future upgraders with that model Mac Pro as well.

Since there isn't much mention for people trying to update the early 2008 model Mac Pro, I'm videoing a tutorial now to place on youtube for this very reason.

-Scott
Old Jun 1, 2008, 05:14 PM   #9
dchao
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharwell View Post
I found some documentation on Apple's site about adding a RAID card and it described this process for removing the fan assembly.
The RAID card installation is the clearest with lots of pictures.

The link is here
dchao is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2008, 09:04 PM   #10
scottharwell
macrumors newbie

As promised, I posted a video for removing the fan assembly in a Mac Pro (early 2008) model. This will hopefully help a few of you out there.

Click here to view it.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro