Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powerbuddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2006
I just bought a Sony HD handycam (HDR-SR10) w/40 GB HDD. The camcorder records in AVCHD format. However; Leopard on my computer doesn't seem to recognize it. I have to use Sony's PMB for Windows to import .mts files in the handycam to .m2ts on my computer. .m2ts files are too not supported my OS X or iMovie. Someone told me that the best way to get around this issue is to convert it into MPEG-2 stream and export it to a Mac, and it works fine. But, I am confused with this. I know AVCHD uses Mpeg-2 codec, but exporting to a mpeg stream will diminish the quality? :confused:I shoot videos in Full HD(1920X1080i) and dolby 5.1 but I feel kinda hosed not being able to reap the full benefits of HD. :(

michel.joannes

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2008
Sony HDR SR10

Hello,

I have the same problem.
Look at http://www.thedvshow.com/cgi-bin/ybfdv.cgi?url==http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306171
It seems it will be work but how ?
Maybe some files exists on the hd and disturb imovie ?
I don't underderstand.
When I connect my camcorder, aperture is opening. Strange. It seems that imovie 8 is able to work with sony hdr-sr10. But it seems also that it is not obvious:(

If anybody has an idea, don't hesitate to contact me

THANKS

Michel

michel.joannes(@)googlemail.com

NewHandyUserHI

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2008
Mac Software for HDR-SR10

I just joined this site and read your thread...and I agree that it is quite frustrating that I can use this great camcorder, and have to ultimately sacrifice quality by converting to mpeg and exporting to a mac. My question is WHY on earth would SONY put out such a great product and not include software compatible with mac's??? I know there has to be business arrangements that determine all of this stuff....but everyone knows that mac's are far superior when developing media. Does anyone know if there will be any release of compatible software for mac's in the near future?

robbi74

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2008
I just joined this site and read your thread...and I agree that it is quite frustrating that I can use this great camcorder, and have to ultimately sacrifice quality by converting to mpeg and exporting to a mac. My question is WHY on earth would SONY put out such a great product and not include software compatible with mac's??? I know there has to be business arrangements that determine all of this stuff....but everyone knows that mac's are far superior when developing media. Does anyone know if there will be any release of compatible software for mac's in the near future?

Hi Everybody,
I have an Sony sr8e but I had the same problem.
I bought, at the time, the best camera with 100GB and told the sales person I would bring it back if it would not work with APPLE.

Well it does work with Apple!

But here are the problems I had.
As soon as you connect it it opens your photo software, but this is no problem. At least I do not make photo's anymore with the cam.
Furthermore I found out that it is absolutely neccessary to start "taping" in hd format (AVCHD) as long as you use the one format Apple can work with it. But as soon as you going to start mixing the AVCHD format and MPEG2 the connection with Apple does not work anymore.
Next to the above point you have to be careful how you delete the possible footage on your cam you do not want anymore or what is "taped" in MPEG2.
There seems to be more possibilities to delete footage.
This is where I have been busy. I had about 80 different shots I had to delete one by one before I could use my cam with Apple.
The thing is that there is an option to delete different shots at once.
THIS DID NOT WORK. The computer did not recognise the cam until I had deleted the footage one by one.
Hopefully this experience helps you out.
Anyway you have a great combination Sony-Apple but as it is fairly new so no one has the experience with this kind of problems.

By the way: AVCHD only works with Imovie 08, Final cut Express 4 and Final cut Pro 6 and not in any other programm!!

Greetings,
Rob

michel.joannes

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2008
sony HDR SR10

Hello

I don't have the camcorder anymore, I used just to record an event.
I copied the files on my hd. The structure is the following :
AVCHD
!_BDMV
!_CLIPINF (the .cpi files, grayed by imovie)
!_PLAYLIST(contents only 00000.mpl)
!_STREAM (the .mst files, grayed by imovie)
index.bdm
movieobj.bdm

In Imovie, the files are grayed and the button import is already disabled.

We will find a solution, thanks to your posts

Thanks a lot

Michel.joannes(@)googlemail.com

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
AVCHD uses MPEG-4 H.264 codec, the same as QuickTime. On the other hand, the container is different (similar/same as Blu-Ray) and until Apple adds Blu-Ray support into Mac OS X, you won't be able to play it natively.

For now, you are stuck transcoding it into QuickTime H.264 or Apple Intermediate Codec.

Fedo

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2008
HDR SR10 works just fine with MAC

I got mine 2 weeks ago (Apr. 16 actually) and it was all happiness until I tried to download the video to my mac. That's what brought me to this forum.

Well, what happened in my case is that I was using the previous i-movie HD version. Coincidentally (not because of) I just got a new power book (mac) and
tried it again with I-movie 7.1.1 and duh! it was all there, using the provided USB cable.

Now, I'm not an IT guy by any means, so I can't go deeper into details, but at least I'm able now to play with the video now.

Good luck to all.

Macbrasuca

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2009
Sony HDR-SR10

Hi,
I have a Sony HDR-SR10 and Imovie 8! It works Ok and with fullDD on 1080!!

Regards

michel.joannes

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2008
Hi,
I have a Sony HDR-SR10 and Imovie 8! It works Ok and with fullDD on 1080!!

Regards

Hello,

please describe how you connect your cam to the mac. The only possibility is to connect the usb cable. I tried with or without the docking.
Something else : in Imovie9 Apple published the list of the cams supported and the HDR-SR10 is NOT supported.

But sometimes they are not right, so if you have a solution, it will be great.

Thanks a lot for more details. (version of imovie : 7,1,4, 585 (mine) ) Your preferences. Any idea to connect my cam on my mac. I am obliged to use the pc program which transforms the hd in mpeg2 : I don't like this method)

Regards

Michel

Chim3ra

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2008
i would like to know too! just got the HDR-SR11, haven't tried linking it up yet...

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
I just helped a friend figure this out with his HDR-SR7 last night.

1) Import any SD content on the camera.
2) Delete the SD content from the camera (look for MPEG files - you may also have to delete the SD content folder)
3) Disconnect the camera.
4) Quit iMovie
5) Restart iMovie
6) Reconnect the camera
7) Your content should be detected and import into iMovie normally.

Basically, whatever communication is going on between iMovie and the Sony HDR-SRx series of cameras *stops* when it finds the SD footage. If you don't have any SD footage on the camera, iMovie sees the HD footage.

mborkush

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2009
It works!!

Unfortunately this has happened to me as well. All this money on a nice camera to be paired with an awesome computer=no video. I just upgraded to Leopard and Ilife 09'. All is good now. Im glad I found this site. I did as others suggested. I deleted everything off the camera and tried again starting fresh. It worked. Good luck to others with this issue.

pharmangie

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2009
It does work!

it does work! I deleted the SD files off the video camera and all is well now. I am using the SR-10 and iVideo 09 on a Mac Book Pro. THANKS!!

gear66

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
I just bought a Sony HD handycam (HDR-SR10) w/40 GB HDD. The camcorder records in AVCHD format. However; Leopard on my computer doesn't seem to recognize it. I have to use Sony's PMB for Windows to import .mts files in the handycam to .m2ts on my computer. .m2ts files are too not supported my OS X or iMovie. Someone told me that the best way to get around this issue is to convert it into MPEG-2 stream and export it to a Mac, and it works fine. But, I am confused with this. I know AVCHD uses Mpeg-2 codec, but exporting to a mpeg stream will diminish the quality? :confused:I shoot videos in Full HD(1920X1080i) and dolby 5.1 but I feel kinda hosed not being able to reap the full benefits of HD. :(

I have no problems with my SR10 - I just plug it in and 'wupti' it loads my Hd over and shows what I have recorded (full HD),

I hope that will continue for me... Hate it when (plug and play) doesn't work...

jimidan

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2009
Frankfort, KY
I just helped a friend figure this out with his HDR-SR7 last night.

1) Import any SD content on the camera.
2) Delete the SD content from the camera (look for MPEG files - you may also have to delete the SD content folder)
3) Disconnect the camera.
4) Quit iMovie
5) Restart iMovie
6) Reconnect the camera
7) Your content should be detected and import into iMovie normally.

Basically, whatever communication is going on between iMovie and the Sony HDR-SRx series of cameras *stops* when it finds the SD footage. If you don't have any SD footage on the camera, iMovie sees the HD footage.

How do get the computer to see the camcorder to download the SD content? Mine only sees the stills and opens I-photo.

This is not what I bought a Mac for...added headaches and convoluted instructions. So far, I guess I have not really seen the added value of my computing experience with owning this machine, as it involves more work (not less) to do most anything that involves a peripheral device...we live in a Windows world and everything seems to be geared towards that. My MP3 player will not even work with a Mac. What am I missing that seems to be making everybody else (on here) go crazy for Macs?

Adriannnn.

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2009
still dont have a clue?

i have now converted my files from the avchd to mpeg2 on a pc, because only a newer intel processor can recoganisze these files in imovie09... (i have a powerpc)

i am a bit peeved i bought 09 when the guys at apple told me it would recoganize it, and ironically it hasn't i also have final cut pro 5.. both cannot recoganize the AVCHD...

and finally the mpeg2's display the film, but no sound? (by the way sony's pc tech PMB takes an extreme amount of time...)

what now do i have to do???!! because sony has still not developed a compatible software with mac (stupid!)

very annoyed i bought an expensive camera, and have all the software to edit it, but i cant.......

please help, thankyou.:confused:

Also, i loose quality when i downgrade to mpeg2, which is obvious, so why did i spend money on a device that wont even play or edit on my computer...
could someone help me out, without having to send more money..?
thanks again.

michel.joannes

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2008
Sony HDR-SR10 questions

Hello Adriannnn,

I understand, I'm also completly disappointed. I have a intel mac (imac 24 ") and imovie 9.
I tried ALL the tips given on all the forum without any success.
But, if I understand, you have a PC.
Then, try to buy (it is not expensive) the SONYVEGASTUDIO program, you can buy the light version, not the professional and, surprise, this program works directly with the avchd files. It is a simple program, like Imovie (but on a pc :-( ). But the results are excellent. The best idea is to use VEGA to sort, cut, choose your rush, and then mount your movie. If the goal is to make a dvd, you have to continue with VEGA. If the goal is to put something on internet, deploy your project on mpeg, or hd with a codec like h263 or h264 to continue with IMOVIE.

Have fun with your cam : it is a good product.

Regards,

Michel

jimidan

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2009
Frankfort, KY
Hello Adriannnn,

I understand, I'm also completly disappointed. I have a intel mac (imac 24 ") and imovie 9.
I tried ALL the tips given on all the forum without any success.
But, if I understand, you have a PC.
Then, try to buy (it is not expensive) the SONYVEGASTUDIO program, you can buy the light version, not the professional and, surprise, this program works directly with the avchd files. It is a simple program, like Imovie (but on a pc :-( ). But the results are excellent. The best idea is to use VEGA to sort, cut, choose your rush, and then mount your movie. If the goal is to make a dvd, you have to continue with VEGA. If the goal is to put something on internet, deploy your project on mpeg, or hd with a codec like h263 or h264 to continue with IMOVIE.

Have fun with your cam : it is a good product.

Regards,

Michel

From what has been reported, if you have an Intel based Mac, it will recognize the Sony HD format. It is supposed to be just us who have the older Mac OS that are having the difficulty. You should not have to use all of the 'tips' to get it to work, it should go right into iMovie 09. What gives?

michel.joannes

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2008
THE list

Hello all,

I like delete files, modify the color of the wires, pray, but I prefer a fact.
This is a real fact.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3290?viewlocale=en_US
eight of april 2009

End of the game.

Michel

An abstract : list of

Sony HDR-CX11 AVCHD / MPEG-2 Memory iMovie ’09 and Sony more...
Video stabilization limitations more...
Sony HDR-CX12 AVCHD / MPEG-2 Memory iMovie ’09 and Sony more...
Sony HDR-SR1 AVCHD HDD iMovie ’09 and Sony more...
Sony DCR-SR5 AVCHD HDD iMovie ’09 and Sony more...
Sony HDR-SR7 AVCHD HDD iMovie ’09 and Sony more...
Sony HDR-SR8 AVCHD HDD iMovie ’09 and Sony more...
Sony HDR-SR11 AVCHD HDD iMovie ’09 and Sony more...
Sony HDR-SR12 AVCHD HDD iMovie ’09 and Sony more...
Sony HDR-TG1 AVCHD HDD iMovie ’09 and Sony more...
Sony HDR-CX7 AVCHD Memory Video stabilization limitations more...
Sony HDR-UX1 AVCHD DVD Requires Mac OS X Leopard 10.5 or later
Sony HDR-UX7 AVCHD DVD Requires Mac OS X Leopard 10.5 or later
Sony HDR-UX20 AVCHD DVD Requires Mac OS X Leopard 10.5 or later
Sony DCR-SR60 MPEG-2 HDD
Sony DCR-SR82 MPEG-2 HDD
Sony DCR-SR100 MPEG-2 HDD Pixelated or choppy preview more...
Sony DCR-SR200 MPEG-2 HDD Pixelated or choppy preview more...
Sony DCR-SR300 MPEG-2 HDD Video stabilization limitations more...
Sony DCR-DVD308 MPEG-2 DVD
Sony DCR-DVD505 MPEG-2 DVD Video stabilization limitations more...
Sony DCR-DVD508 MPEG-2 DVD Video stabilization limitations more...
Sony DCR-DVD403 MPEG-2 DVD Select "Standard" or "Video" mode to use with iMovie '09 more...
Sony Webbie HD
MHS-CM1 MPEG-4 Memory Video stabilization limitations more...
Properly ejecting a Sony Webbie HD more...
Stuttering video footage during import preview more...

vampyren

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2008
Hi guys,

Not sure if it helps some people but i just bought an Sony HDR-CX520VE and recorded a few scenes with the default setting (think it was the one above SD).

I then connected it to my pretty new Macbook pro 15' using the Nvidia 9400M chip (default mode). I got a disk showing on my desktop.

Next i started iMovie and what do you know my clips all show up :D

It just worked without any problem at all really.

My iMovie is version 8.x.x. I installed the iLife with all the progz and then used the OSX software updater which did find updates for my Imovie where it did say there is support for more cameras. I did this before hooking the camera to the laptop.

On thing is dont understand thought is that the movies that are imported get soooo huge. I think a 2min movie ended up being over 1Gig and that wasnt even the highest quality on the camera. I'm new into this video camera thing so maybe that is normal???

Paul7

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2009
Hi guys,

Not sure if it helps some people but i just bought an Sony HDR-CX520VE and recorded a few scenes with the default setting (think it was the one above SD).

I then connected it to my pretty new Macbook pro 15' using the Nvidia 9400M chip (default mode). I got a disk showing on my desktop.

Next i started iMovie and what do you know my clips all show up :D

It just worked without any problem at all really.

My iMovie is version 8.x.x. I installed the iLife with all the progz and then used the OSX software updater which did find updates for my Imovie where it did say there is support for more cameras. I did this before hooking the camera to the laptop.

On thing is dont understand thought is that the movies that are imported get soooo huge. I think a 2min movie ended up being over 1Gig and that wasnt even the highest quality on the camera. I'm new into this video camera thing so maybe that is normal???

It depends on the resolution of the video you are capturing, but it doesn't sound out of the ordinary. For full 1920x1080, I usually estimate 1min=1Gb (though in reality, it's not *that* bad...). If you want smaller, then import the image as "Large" (960x540) in iMovie. It won't be HD, but it'll be better than DVD quality.

vampyren

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2008
Thanks for the clarification.

Better then DVD quality sounds good enough for me but still i cant digest the big size of HD :)
After all the manual says [HD SP] 19 tim. 10 min. What exactly is this then?
How can 1 min get 1Gig while manual says 19h for 64Gig? it just dont make sense to me :(

another thing puzzling me is that the movies moved to iMovie are .mov while they are AVCHD in the camera. I'm pretty sure they dont get converted on the way since it goes so quickly, pretty much feels like it just is a matter of copy paste so the question is what is being done when AVCHD goes ---> .mov ?

Thanks for any help.

kirankt11

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2012
HDD format error

When i try to click photos or record videos, it displays "HDD Format Error".
I tried to format the HDD, but at the end, it displayed "Unable to access HDD".

Can anyone faced a similar issue before and resolved it by troubleshooting?

Pls let me know.
Thanks in advance.

regards
Kiran - kirankt11@gmail.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.