Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Mar 26, 2008, 06:31 AM   #1
supercooled
macrumors 6502a

Haphazard Boot

Hi, I don't know if this is inherent with all Mac Pros but mine is peculiar in that it needs the monitor turned on otherwise it boots but does not show an image. If I don't have the monitor on before hand, I can't see anyting. Haven't tried it with a smaller monitor but it could be the Dell as well.

Is this common?
Old Mar 26, 2008, 10:51 AM   #2
ThirteenXIII
macrumors 6502a

wellllll unless i dont understand your post, but whyw ould you be concerned if your monitor is OFF and ther eis no image? that sort of makes sense there wouldnt be an image.

the only way a monitor that wouldbe off that would auto turn on is the ACDs from my experience.

otherwise no idea what your talking about ???
ThirteenXIII is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2008, 11:13 AM   #3
DannySmurf
macrumors 6502a

I think he means that he needs to turn the monitor on before he starts the computer (as opposed to turning it on after the boot process has already started), rather than that he wants to see something with his monitor off.

Dunno if this is actually common or not (although this seems more like a laptop behaviour than something a desktop would do), but the solution seems fairly simple: just make sure you turn the monitor on before you boot the computer.
DannySmurf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2008, 01:29 PM   #4
supercooled
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannySmurf View Post
I think he means that he needs to turn the monitor on before he starts the computer (as opposed to turning it on after the boot process has already started), rather than that he wants to see something with his monitor off.

Dunno if this is actually common or not (although this seems more like a laptop behaviour than something a desktop would do), but the solution seems fairly simple: just make sure you turn the monitor on before you boot the computer.
That's exactly right. I have my computer to wake at 7AM every day so the CHIME works as an alarm as well. Of course by the time I drag myself out of bed to turn on the monitor, there is no image. I rather not have it in sleep mode consuming energy needlessly. I'll try with another monitor to see.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 04:46 PM   #5
krye
macrumors 68000

I tried mine. I powered it on with the monitor off. Once I thought it was up, I turned on the 30" cinema display and all was fine. So I don't have to have the monitor on before I turn on the Mac Pro.
krye is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro