Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hersheytx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2007
I am overwhelmed with the choices of Podcasts. SO many but so little time to watch everything. I know that I had some podcast I could set up a subscription to on my MAC (ITUNES) and have them downloaded automatically.
Now I am trying to just use the Apple TV alone without having to go to the computer. BUt for the life of me I cannot find a way to make a Podcast a subscription. It should be like a TIVO. Pick a program and record. But it seems to not be there.
What am I missing?
Or is Apple still in beta on this idea?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
You cannot subscribe to a podcast directly from the AppleTV.

Personally, I manage my podcasts from my Mac. This gives me the flexibility of listening to/watching them at the computer, or on my iPhone, or on my AppleTV. I'd hate to just have them only available on the AppleTV.

powersurge

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Is this still correct after the various updates lately? I've been very interested in picking up a 40gb AppleTV mostly for watching video podcasts and movie rentals but being able to subscribe ala iTunes or Tivo to a podcast is a key feature for me.

If it wasn't for the fact that I have a 1080i set I'd probably consider a mac mini but I have a feeling that getting it to play nice at 1080i would be a huge hassle.

OlBlueHair

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
I am overwhelmed with the choices of Podcasts. SO many but so little time to watch everything. I know that I had some podcast I could set up a subscription to on my MAC (ITUNES) and have them downloaded automatically.
Now I am trying to just use the Apple TV alone without having to go to the computer. BUt for the life of me I cannot find a way to make a Podcast a subscription. It should be like a TIVO. Pick a program and record. But it seems to not be there.
What am I missing?
Or is Apple still in beta on this idea?

Right now you can't do it...but what is so hard about managing them through iTunes and then going to your apple tv and choosing them?

BoulderBum

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2008
You CAN add your favorite podcasts directly through the Apple TV by choosing "Add To Favorites" when you're done.

That's what I do, and it has the added advantage of streaming instead of downloading your podcasts.

The main drawback (which is one of my number one feature requests for a future version) is that you can't tell when a new episode of the podcast came in, you basically have to check all the time (which is okay for the daily ones, but annoying for the occasional ones).

pendolino

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2007
its actually much more convenient for me to have the podcasts downloaded and not streamed since i am on a slower (<1 Mb) connection.

streaming is not convenient for everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.