Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dracoleb

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2003
Wow, everybody seems to want to get into the game. Maybe this will hurt the credibility of the recent newcomer Napster. iTunes is the established standard.

mjconnor

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2003
Is this true?

Is this a joke?

Is it going to be a bunch of censored stuff, like in their stores?

Or is it going to be a load of Toby Keith hick crap, like in their stores?

Plus, does anyone who goes to Wal-Mart even know what a computer or the Internet is?

JohnGillilan

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2003
Los Angeles
I wonder if this will be sponsored by the Handleman Company?? They are the music distributor for stores like WalMart, Target, K-Mart, etc. If so, do you think such a service would extend to these other similar stores?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
agreed, this is nuts. How many are we up to by now? Apple, napster, dell, sony (right?), walmart, buymusic.com... and I'm sure I'm forgetting many. Methinks there isn't room in the market for this many people.

reason1

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
Do not underestimate the power of Walmart. They are willing to lose $$$ for years-in order to get people in the door.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
What's going to happen when some of these stores are going to go belly up? How will people be able to authenticate their music... digital rights management sucks... and it could create a big backlash.

I personally don't like buying music online... I can buy the CD, rip it, its better quality and I can do whatever I want with it, no hassle. Plus if the MP3 gets deleted, I can rip it again for free.

pb1212580

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2003
Ooh... I wonder if one would be able to return it if one decides it was the wrong music purchased?! lol ;)

seriously though, maybe it's a good thing a different kind of store is jumping in...brings in different ideas... good or bad.

2 cents

ClimbingTheLog

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2003
Walmart tried to emulate NetFlix too - anybody know how that's doing?

They have a patent going for them; I wonder if Apple get any patients on iTMS.

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
Geez Walmart, an online music store? Really puh-leeease, that's soooo 2003.

There's a little Korean deli down on the corner that has it's own music store... and my grandma... and of course I have two or three online music stores myself. I mean... doesn't every have one?

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Hey don't say anything about folks that goto wally world!!

The Walmart Music Store may not do well but I do go there quite abit for DVD sales, food and few other things. Most Wally Worlds around here are 24hr SuperCenters so they are sortof hangouts as well..like the Super Targets here.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
i think it's time we all paid a visit to walmart HQ. they've been ripping us off for years, treating us like **** when we are stupid enough to shop there, now they're pulling this ****? come on. thankfully NO one i know even considers buying music at walmart, as was said above the censorship is terrible, i'm sure they'll have it online too. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

it seems everyone wants to get a finger in the pie. i think a lot of fingers are going to get burned.

pnw

evolu

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2002
LA la land...
You think they will stock bottles of Pepsi that are giving away free iTunes tracks...

In true Wallmart style they will probably stock non-giveaway bottles only.

Edit: wrong cola!

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by ClimbingTheLog
Walmart tried to emulate NetFlix too - anybody know how that's doing?

Walmart's DVD Rental thing is cheaper than Netflix but probably one of the worst things ever. It doesn't even compare to Netflix. You would be wasting your money if you signed up. I have read many reviews by people on the web and they all got fed up with the long waits and lack of customer service and all moved to Netflix.

I am sure Walmart would do about the same with a music store. Lower prices but not worth the hassle.

When will it ever end?

voicegy

macrumors 65816
Originally posted by dracoleb
Wow, everybody seems to want to get into the game.

Well, can't blame 'em. Stores that sell music were/are all over the place...Tower Records, Wherehouse, Sam Goody, various electronic stores, and, yes, huge discount retailers...and mom and pop stores, independent stores...the list goes on. This just represents a shift from "brick and morter" to online purchases, albeit now instead of merely "buying a cd online" and having it mailed to your door, you'll buy individual songs and/or whole "cd's" digitally, to be downloaded and manipulated on your computer. Something the more "savvy" computer user has been used to for a while now.

Truly a major shift in purchasing "merchandise" in an actual "digital" format...it was bound to "trickle down" to the masses via a giant, well established discount chain.

Oh, and, yes...I detest WalMart as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.