Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Nov 5, 2003, 07:55 PM   #1
cb911
macrumors 601

Send a message via ICQ to cb911 Send a message via AIM to cb911
Question copying songs from iPod to HD.

hi all. i'm trying to import songs from my iPod to my PowerBook hard drive.

i've got some of my songs on my HD, but there's alot more on my iPod. what happened was i had all my iTunes/iPod stuff worked out, then i clean installed Panther, and i've only put some of the songs back on my HD and iTunes. the iPod is still synced with my previous iTunes library.

so i there any way i can get the songs off my iPod to my PB HD? i don't really want to have to put all my CD's in my PB and get all the songs that way....

i tried iPodRip, but that just added the songs on my iPod to my iTunes library. it didn't copy the songs to my HD. i thought it was supposed to copy songs? or did i do something wrong?

also, does anyone know an app that can go through selected folders and delete doubles of the same file? i might need something like that when i come to organizing my music and stuff.

thanks for the help.
Old Nov 5, 2003, 08:31 PM   #2
LimeLite
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to LimeLite
In general, if you want to put music back on to your hard drive from your iPod, you'd need to store the files on the iPod as a drive, not through iTunes. I think there are some apps that help you out, but not sure what their names are or how good they are.
LimeLite is offline   0
Old Nov 5, 2003, 08:45 PM   #3
mkubal
macrumors 6502a

tinker tool

I would suggest Tinker Tool. It will allow you to show all invisible files and folders at which point you will be able to drag and drop from the invisible folder on the iPod that holds all of the MP3 files.

Matt
mkubal is offline   0
Old Nov 5, 2003, 09:19 PM   #4
davidc2182
macrumors regular

Angry uh oh!

doesnt that mean that one could potentially download AAC files bought with quicktime to a non authorized computer?

"You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same."
davidc2182 is offline   0
Old Nov 5, 2003, 10:18 PM   #5
idkew
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to idkew
iPodRip is your guy.

You don't want to use tinkertool, b/c it shows your music in a few folders, all unorganized and it is hard to find stuff.

ipodrip will copy over everything as it was on your computer, playlists, playcounts and all. it is shareware, but the first 10 uses are free.

i used it to transfer all my music back to my laptop after a reformat and upgrade to panther, so i don't know what your problem was. try putting ALL your music on your iPod, clearing your music on your laptop and then copyting it all back at once again. a bit of work, but it worked for me perfectly.
idkew is offline   0
Old Nov 5, 2003, 10:20 PM   #6
dieselg4
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to dieselg4
Re: uh oh!

Quote:
Originally posted by davidc2182
doesnt that mean that one could potentially download AAC files bought with quicktime to a non authorized computer?
Such is the way of digital things. . . as long as you can push the 1 and 0's around, its hard to keep things from being copied. The one-time beauty (to the RAA) of the CD was that is was uneconomical to copy (at one time). The one-time benign nature of the MP3 (or AAC) was that is was difficult to take with you (before personal MP3 players).
dieselg4 is offline   0
Old Nov 6, 2003, 12:07 PM   #7
jimthorn
macrumors 6502a

I'm a big fan of PodWorks myself. I copied my entire music library from the iPod back into my Mac after doing a clean install of Panther. Worked like a charm, and even kept everything organized in folder structure by artist, album, etc. You can pick and choose what to copy or just copy the whole library. The app can also be stored and run on the iPod itself, so you can easily copy your music off the iPod even if your HD is erased or you get a new computer. Great app.
Old Nov 6, 2003, 12:25 PM   #8
zarathustra
macrumors 6502a

Re: uh oh!

Quote:
Originally posted by davidc2182
Yes it does, but it will simply ask you to type in your iTunes music store account information if you try to play the song. So even if you have the files, they are nothing more than digital waste of space.
zarathustra is offline   0
Old Nov 6, 2003, 02:26 PM   #9
mystixman
macrumors regular

I would use a program such as Ollie's iPod Extractor. It's very simple to use and copies all of your music right to your hard drive
mystixman is offline   0
Old Nov 6, 2003, 07:31 PM   #10
cb911
macrumors 601

Send a message via ICQ to cb911 Send a message via AIM to cb911
okay, i'm using iPod rip. i just didn't read the instructions properly. on my first attempt i just added all of my songs to the iTunes library, not copy them to my HD.

now i've got it all worked out i'm just copying the songs that i want over.

thanks for the help everyone. there is one small problem though... all the songs that i'm importing from my iPod have numbers in front of them. all the aps that i've tried have done this to the filenames. is there any way i can batch re-name the files to get rid of the number in front? it's not really necessary, but it just annoys me.
Old Nov 7, 2003, 02:47 PM   #11
unc32
macrumors regular

Preferenecs -> importing -> number with track
unc32 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers