Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shecky

Original poster
May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
just wondering, my fiancé has an iphone that does pretty badly reception-wise at our studio. would a 3G iPhone necessarily have the same reception problems? is there a chance that a 3G iPhone might work great where the current iPhone does not? or should it be about the same?

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2006
UK
umm for the phone section id say no (not 100% but i dont think so)

And its faster for the net on the go!

Im sure a lot of people know more than me tho :)

shecky

Original poster
May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
so theoretically 3G might eliminate the iphone being between "no service" and 1-2 bars most of the time?

does 3G use different towers or just different antennas/dishes/whatever on the same towers that are already there?

DarthTreydor

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
My old 3g phone got much better service in my house than my iPhone does. I don't know whether that's a result of it being 3g or if its just the way the phone was constructed.

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
Germany
does 3G use different towers or just different antennas/dishes/whatever on the same towers that are already there?
3G uses completely different equipment, which may or may not be mounted on the same towers. At least, if 3G = UMTS. EDGE (which is also a 3G technology) is just an update to GSM, so it uses the same towers. CDMA2000/EV-DO … I have no idea.

I usually have better signal strength with my new UMTS phone. However, I don't know whether that is due to a different location of cell towers, a better phone design (however, both my old GSM and my new UMTS phone were made by Nokia) or really a feature of UMTS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.