Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bertpalmer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 12, 2007
Hi there Mac community.

I have browsed these forums for a LONG time as I someday hope to get a mac but in the meantime I have a BIG problem.

My 5G iPod video does not charge when attached to my PC. I have tried this with 4 different PC's and suddenly it has stopped charging? I have used two different USB wires (I bought a new one) and neither of them work.

However - when I attach it to my iTrip in the car it charges fine from the 12v connection?

I have restored the firmware to 1.2.3 as I thought the problem was with 1.3 but nothing is working.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in anticipation..>!

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Your USB power connectors are no longer working. The iTrip works because it charges over different pins at 12V while the USB only charges at 5V (hence why they use different pins).

Your best bet is to have is replaced at an Apple Store for the $60 fee, as I doubt there is anything you can do to fix it, aside from cleaning the connectors on the iPod.

TEG

bertpalmer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 12, 2007
Yeah - I read that on a forum somewhere but I was doubtful that was happening - well I will take it in to the genius store and see what they say - I hope there is another explanation though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.