Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Mar 26, 2008, 11:43 PM   #1
MacBook-Gal
macrumors regular

Question about Adobe Creative Suite

Lately a lot of people have been asking me to do graphic design projects along with my traditional art. The image editing programs that I have been using are old and very contrary to work with, so I have finally decided to go ahead and get the Adobe Creative Suite.

I do have a couple of questions though. First, I am wondering how many computers I will be able to install it on. I have a Windows Pc, and a MacBook Pro. Does anyone know if there is a way to legally install it on both computers without having to pay the full price of two separate licenses? Also, how well does CS3 work on a MacBook Pro? I have an older (as in about four years old) version of Photoshop Elements on it that sometimes quits at the most inopportune times. I am hoping that this will not happen with the newer versions of CS3.
MacBook-Gal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2008, 03:31 AM   #2
creator2456
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook-Gal View Post
Lately a lot of people have been asking me to do graphic design projects along with my traditional art. The image editing programs that I have been using are old and very contrary to work with, so I have finally decided to go ahead and get the Adobe Creative Suite.

I do have a couple of questions though. First, I am wondering how many computers I will be able to install it on. I have a Windows Pc, and a MacBook Pro. Does anyone know if there is a way to legally install it on both computers without having to pay the full price of two separate licenses? Also, how well does CS3 work on a MacBook Pro? I have an older (as in about four years old) version of Photoshop Elements on it that sometimes quits at the most inopportune times. I am hoping that this will not happen with the newer versions of CS3.
Not sure about the Windows/Mac licensing, but you are allowed to have the suite installed on two machines while only running it on one at a time (say on a desktop and laptop). CS3 is Universal so it is built for Intel and PPC chips. There are some very minor bugs still to be worked out with Leopard and CS3, but it's easy to deal with.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 08:22 AM   #3
IgnatiusTheKing
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to IgnatiusTheKing Send a message via Skype™ to IgnatiusTheKing
Quote:

Adobe makes different versions of CS3 for Windows and Mac OS, so you'll only be able to use your software on the one format you buy it for, unless you buy it for PC and run it under Boot Camp on your MacBook Pro. If you opt to do that, you (allegedly) can only run one at a time, but I doubt you would ever need to run it on both a desktop and a laptop at the same time anyway.

As for how well it works on a MBP, well, I'd say it will work as well (or better) on your laptop as just about any other machine you can buy, assuming you have lots of RAM. There are supposed to be a few glitches and quirks with Leopard, but I have yet to run into them, except one about not being able to hide InDesign. Supposedly it works fantastically on Tiger, as well.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 05:17 PM   #4
MacBook-Gal
macrumors regular

Thanks for the info guys! Right now I am using Tiger, but I plan on switching over to Leopard before too long. I don't think that I want to run CS3 via Boot Camp so I will probably go with the Mac version and just use it on my MBP.

Exactly how much ram is lots of ram? Do you think that 2GB is enough, or will I need to have more than that?
MacBook-Gal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2008, 05:32 PM   #5
creator2456
macrumors 68000

I use 2gb in my MBP since it's the most I can have (rev A...can't wait to update the system). I can comfortably run Photoshop and Illustrator along with email, internet, and chat going for normal use. If I am doing some more intensive work I'll run one CS3 app at a time to get the most out of what I have. That said, I am sure that if I could go to 4gb I would see some improvements in areas.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 10:12 AM   #6
IgnatiusTheKing
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to IgnatiusTheKing Send a message via Skype™ to IgnatiusTheKing
Quote:
Thanks for the info guys! Right now I am using Tiger, but I plan on switching over to Leopard before too long. I don't think that I want to run CS3 via Boot Camp so I will probably go with the Mac version and just use it on my MBP.

Exactly how much ram is lots of ram? Do you think that 2GB is enough, or will I need to have more than that?
2GB is enough to run it comfortably, but 4GB (or more) will give you a noticeable speed bump.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics