Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GeorgeC97

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2002
hey everyone:

i read this in another rumor site:

"Using a faster G3, 800 mhz to 1 ghz, and some minor improvements to the underlying architecture--upgraded GPU and faster system bus--would make the iBook scorch PC notebooks."

Do you think this is true?? what's your opinion on this... i'm despirately waiting for this new ibook to come out -- something that will last me the next 3 years or some as my sole computer

but would you agree with the above statement - namely a G3 speed boosted ibook is comparable to PC notebooks?

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
well it all depends what pc laptop you're comparing them to i guess.

i don't know a lot about pc's, much less notebooks, but i do know that it wouldn't take much to top my girlfriend's dell, but it IS 2 years old... so that's nothing for comparison i guess.

however, i would think that a faster g3 ibook... could certainly compete with some consumer pc notebooks. os x should run alright with enough ram. and it's got the iapps and appleworks (i think) and some other stuff...

not sure it'd "scorch" them though.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
an 800MHz or 1GHz iBook should compare pretty good up against the majority of the PC notebooks. i don't think that it will last anymore than 2 years, unless you only want to use it for e-mail and stuff like that. lets face it, the G3 is on the way out.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Well I can say this. The iBook cannot compete with P4 notebooks, because it is not designed to. Let the PowerBook do that. I have an iBook 600 with 384mb of ram, and quite frankly it doesn't matter how fast it is compared to anything. What matters is if it will do everything that I need it to do. As a network administrator, I need to be able to run OS 9, X, Win 95, 98, ME, 2000, NT, XP, Red Hat Linux, and Madrake Linux. Lets see that is 10 Operating systems that I have to be able to run so that I can trouble shoot systems on the fritz. Now I can either have 10 different laptops, or at least one Mac, and one PC laptop, however, I have all with my iBook. I can run photoshop, and anything else that I can to, and it is plenty fast enough. Sure I may not be able to render a 40 mb tiff through a photoshop filter at warp 9, but it is all I need now, and will need for at least 2 or 3 years.

GeorgeC97

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2002
WWDC -- from SPYMAC

I just read this from spymac:

"No new products (two button mice, iBooks) have been announced at this point, and such announcements seem unlikely giving the nature of the keynote."

THAT SUCKS !

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
I doubt the G3 chip will be around much longer.

Steve is on a "death of" kick; and i believe he will add the "death of the g3" to the list.

Apple is updating their products much more frequently than they have over the past year or so... and along with OSX I believe they are trying to be taken as a serious cpu company.

After he has publicly said you need a G4 to run OSX; the today was the "death of OS9", it is the next sure thing.

the iBook will be a G4 this year. no doubt. i'll bet money on it.

C-

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Re: Do you think this is true about the ibook?

Originally posted by GeorgeC97
hey everyone:

i read this in another rumor site:

"Using a faster G3, 800 mhz to 1 ghz, and some minor improvements to the underlying architecture--upgraded GPU and faster system bus--would make the iBook scorch PC notebooks."

Do you think this is true?? what's your opinion on this... i'm despirately waiting for this new ibook to come out -- something that will last me the next 3 years or some as my sole computer

but would you agree with the above statement - namely a G3 speed boosted ibook is comparable to PC notebooks?

hard to say considering the p4 laptops, from 1.6 to 2.4 ghz, with ddr ram at 266 mhz, and 400 mhz system bus

but ibook, being bulletproof, will physically last 3 yrs.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
From a stock price perspective, it makes more sense to let WWDC be about the big stuff they announced in the keynote and Jaguar while waiting until things settle down to announce something else new, then just as things settle down a bit more, things build up to MWNY.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.