Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdickson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2006
Baton Rouge, La.
I'm thinking about getting the Mini-DV to Video adapter to hook up my MacBook to my TV.

If I hooked everything up and then closed my MacBook, would the video still be played on the TV or would the MacBook go to sleep like normal?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
WAIT!

I just remembered that an Apple Remote can wake up a laptop in clamshell mode. :D

That gives you VLC, Quicktime, and Front Row controls.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Good Call...

WAIT!

I just remembered that an Apple Remote can wake up a laptop in clamshell mode. :D

That gives you VLC, Quicktime, and Front Row controls.

Eldorian! Yes, the REMOTE and the MOUSE will allow your MB to operate with the MB in "clamshell mode" but to ensure you get the Full Screen, you must have the MOUSE attached to click on view and then release when Full Screen is highlighted. No need for InsomniaX!!! COOL! :p:cool:

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
Close your macbook - it goes to sleep
Connect up the cables - DVI, speakers and power
Then pop in a usb device (such as a flash drive) into one of the ports f the macbook. Itwakes up using the tv as the main monitor, and the macbook screen stays off, even if you open it up.

mdickson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2006
Baton Rouge, La.
I'm happy to report that no external keyboard or Apple Remote was needed. The bluetooth mouse worked on its own to wake up the computer and use in clamshell mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.